Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Should I or Shouldn't I

I am in a little quandry, We have had our darling Millie for 11 weeks and I feel that at times she is missing company. I have always had two dogs, My last two died last year (one was 12 and one 13). Milie being a JRT is very hyper ( she is one next month). When we go out all she wants to do is go to other dogs to play. I don't think I should get another just yet as we are having Millie spayed later this month. But would like to re-home sometime if OH lets me. I wouldn't want her to be jealous of another dog, at the moment, being the only one she gets all our attention.
I shall think about it some more, maybe one day.
Best Wishes. Anne
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I think its definatly something to think about, she sounds as though she could benifit from the company of another dog!
Best wishes for her upcoming op! x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi Anne Once Millie has recovered from her op and taking other things into consideration (eg cost and are you at home to supervise the bedding in period) another dog would I am sure be very nice..maybe rescue a dog rather than a bitch..then I bet Milie will get on with it just fine..
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I am at home permanently am retired now, so I would be there for them. OH wants us to have a small holiday end of the year. Can't go till after the 7 week Holidays (4 Grand children to look after, What would they do without us Grand Parents), and I don't want to put Millie in kennels on her own, it would be nice if she had company. I have mostly had resue dogs (My last 3 have been) so I would be here for the settling in. If we go away it would only be for days not weeks. I shall see how Millie is after she recuperates.
Best Wishes,
Annex
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
If you are think of a puppy or a dog that is not trained I would wait until your Millie is behaving as you would wish before getting another, having to train two dogs at the same time is very difficult. However if Millie is well behaved and the dog you wish to get is also then I see no problem, I have always had more that one as half the pleasure in dog owning IMO is to watch them interact. It is true that the loose the tight link with you and other humans in the family although they always seem jealous of your attention.

On the other hand if you are having to think about it TOO hard perhaps you are not ready yet. Any way would wait till Millie is fully recovered from her op.

Why do I only notice typos once I have clicked the publish button
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 03:56 PM
On the other hand, if you rescued a well-behaved, well trained dog like I've been lucky enough to have, then he/she will be an added bonus in training your Milli? Dogs like company, and I have always had two together, they are much happier, even though I am home with them most of the time they do like to play and interact with each other, and I think it also makes them more sociable with other dogs when out too. Hope you think about this seriously when Millie is over her op. Good luck.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
i always try to keep pets in 2s,, as i feel they like us get lonely
my bonnie pined and pined and was so subdued and quiet and now tht we have nemo she is bounding about the place thinking she is a pup again its lovely,, but then again you have to do whats best for you too
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I like to get another dog too. But not untill Ally is fully trained and matured.
To train two dogs and neither of them being fully grown is more than I would want.
My concern is that one of them (or maybe both?) would miss something.
My dog should be with me for many years to come, and basic training will hopefully make our time together fun and happy.

But thats just imo and I´m sure plenty of ppl feel diff.
Do what you feel best but think it through. And if you have doubts - wait.