Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Drug sniffer?

Right as Louie is from working stock, and I am sure he needs a job to do but would suck at field trials and I'm not a fan of shooting anything other than people (Airsofting) I was thinking of training him up as a sniffer dog.

As I work in a nightclub, you can smell the stuff people shouldn't smoke but do, the club only has a metal detector and a sign saying, bags may be searched. But not really anything to stop people bringing drugs in. The place where I work used to be a different club which was shut down on the basis of violent behaviour, fuelled by the alcohol, hormones and I'm guessing the possibility of drugs. So now it is under a different name, different owner etc, different rules, like for example we're not allowed to serve glass over the bar. So I got to thinking after seeing a security car with dog visiting the many warehouses near my OH's parent's and I thought if I could get Louie into something like that I could run my own business and keep my dogs happy.. Not to mention if I did get him trained up, and my boss liked the idea - he'd have a job. I mean it's a student bar and we know what some students can be like.

How would I go about training this?

There are many factors I have to consider, like how would I get Louie to differentiate between drug smells without purchasing them myself and introducing them to him. And also how would I go about training him to sniff for these substances?

Does anyone else think I am being a bit ambitious? My OH does...but then again I've always been ambitious...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
First of all you need to be able to train a dog to do this, and this is a skilled task.

Secondly, you have to have a licence to hold the drugs with which you use to train.

Thirdly, to get into this business you would need to build up your credentials and convince others that you had the required skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience to conduct this successfully.

Fourthly you need more than one dog even for just you, as they can only work for a short period at a time.

I could go on..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
First of all you need to be able to train a dog to do this, and this is a skilled task.

Secondly, you have to have a licence to hold the drugs with which you use to train.

Thirdly, to get into this business you would need to build up your credentials and convince others that you had the required skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience to conduct this successfully.

Fourthly you need more than one dog even for just you, as they can only work for a short period at a time.

I could go on..
Ahhh so a lot...I have Benjie - he can nose out a treat or two that I've forgotten in my pocket ... A lot of thinking and planning then...research it is Thanks.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Is this really something you really want to do with your lovely boy. ?

I can see WHYyou want to,
But he could get hurt, bottled,stabbed, kicked etc.
i mean its not like he would be protected by a police man.

I wouldnt risk it
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Did you watch come fly with me last week?

I will look at sniffer dogs in a new light ;lol
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I just happened to see that section, and believe it or not a HUGE amount of the general public DO believe that sniffer dogs ARE drug addicts.

My argument always used to be, using that logic, how do they motivate explosive dogs, blow them up?

They must have been listening to me..........
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Is this really something you really want to do with your lovely boy. ?

I can see WHYyou want to,
But he could get hurt, bottled,stabbed, kicked etc.
i mean its not like he would be protected by a police man.

I wouldnt risk it
I didn't think about that Mish, tbh, it was just an idea..one of those you research and think loads about but are unlikely to take on..I mean we have loads of security at the club - it's a wonder the drugs actually get brought in. I mean I'm not seriously thinking about it - just mindmaping things I can get him into. We're going to watch a flyball/agility class tonight - so when he's a year old I can try him with that. (Dogless of course - he'd just be too excited and be a pain)

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Did you watch come fly with me last week?

I will look at sniffer dogs in a new light ;lol
No I didn't - why a new light?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I didn't think about that Mish, tbh, it was just an idea..one of those you research and think loads about but are unlikely to take on..I mean we have loads of security at the club - it's a wonder the drugs actually get brought in. I mean I'm not seriously thinking about it - just mindmaping things I can get him into. We're going to watch a flyball/agility class tonight - so when he's a year old I can try him with that. (Dogless of course - he'd just be too excited and be a pain)

No I didn't - why a new light?
Iplayer it ..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I just happened to see that section, and believe it or not a HUGE amount of the general public DO believe that sniffer dogs ARE drug addicts.

My argument always used to be, using that logic, how do they motivate explosive dogs, blow them up?

They must have been listening to me..........
mt OHs lab is now a bomb disposal dog. he works for the police force and is based in winsford, amazing watching him walk
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
A friend of mine is doing a degree in dog behavourism and is on the final year, at the moment she's doing drug search training and says its really complicated and takes months to fully understand. Apparently thats why its done in year 3.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >