Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:38 AM

What does your dogs name mean?

Using a baby name meanings thing I found on Google - I thought it would be interesting to see what your dog's name means.

Sadie - Hebrew = Princess.

Louie - Germanic = Fame and War

Benjie - Hebrew = Son of my Right hand

So what's yours?

Here's the one I used:
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

Hopefully the link works.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Interesting meanings!
Axel means 'Father of Peace' on that website, but my friend lives in Sweden and one of the meanings there is 'Shoulder' which is interesting because of his shoulder scar...
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Ozzy - Spear of the Gods!!

Ludovic (Ludi) - Famous Warrior/ Fighter, chosen because of his sad start in life and how he came through it
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Interesting one , the armanic meaning of Tom is 'twin' and given his jeckyl and hyde tendencies thats seems appropriate but the hebrew meaning is honesty and innocence so that kinda fits too !

Bella is derived from the italian/spanish adjective for beautiful and so she is !
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Interesting meanings!
Axel means 'Father of Peace' on that website, but my friend lives in Sweden and one of the meanings there is 'Shoulder' which is interesting because of his shoulder scar...
Well it makes sense for a Greyhound to have that name I should think - Greys are peaceful aren't they?

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Ozzy - Spear of the Gods!!

Ludovic (Ludi) - Famous Warrior/ Fighter, chosen because of his sad start in life and how he came through it
Ozzy - spear of the Gods yet afraid of snow
Such a lovely choice in name for Ludi - I just thought you went for a strange name cos of his breed. So nice for a meaning behind it.

Then again, Benjie always has his paw in someones right hand, he loves his paw being held
Louie - he's a little celebrity around my OH's parents way and my Parent's way - with the children.
And my Boo - well she is a little princess - one whose not afraid to get muddy and 'orrible
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Interesting one , the armanic meaning of Tom is 'twin' and given his jeckyl and hyde tendencies thats seems appropriate but the hebrew meaning is honesty and innocence so that kinda fits too !

Bella is derived from the italian/spanish adjective for beautiful and so she is !
Lol at the Jeckyl and Hyde. Poor Tom.
There's a take away up the road called Ciao Bella - it means Hello Beautiful I think thats why I like it so much - you feel complemented when you walk through the door. And Bella is beautiful
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Lol at the Jeckyl and Hyde. Poor Tom.
There's a take away up the road called Ciao Bella - it means Hello Beautiful I think thats why I like it so much - you feel complemented when you walk through the door. And Bella is beautiful

Jeckyl and Hyde indeed , he played my OH up big time when I was away with work the last few days !
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Teddy - Origin is Greek - meaning is Gift of God

Gypsy - Origin is English - meaning is Egyptian

There wasnt a meaning etc for Toffee
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Selkie and Pharaoh are not on that name site, unsurprisingly... But Kismet is suggester as a turkish name male or female.. All it says though it that it means 'portion or lot'... Which wouldnt exactly inspire you to name your child Kismet

Pharaoh is a fawn lurcher with pointed ears, when he was a puppy he had black eye markings that looked like someone had painted egyptian eyeshadow on him... Hence Pharaoh

Selkie - are Celtic sea creatures. Beautiful women who wear the skins of seals to turn themselves into seals. Selkie was such a seal pup when she was little, but talked and behaved like a stroppy human girl.. I thought she must be a Selkie stuck in her skin.

Kismet, by all the meanings I looked up means happy chance of fate. She was not supposed to be my puppy. There were so many accidents of fate that brought her into my life and as the saying goes you don't always get the dog you want, but you always get the dog you need... Kismet is teaching me so much.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Zane - English origin - no meaning given

Yiannis - Hebrew origin - God is gracious
Believe me, there's nothing gracious abotu Yiannis. Have also been told it's the Greek version of "John".

Jenzi - no origin - no meaning given
Not surprised as Oscar amde it up

Tashi - no origin - no meaning given
Although on IRT-Deadliest Roads there is a spotter called Tashi
had her name been Tashia - then it would be of English, Russian and American origin and means (Christ's) birthday.

When I get my next Akita (which won't be for many years now as I have enough dogs), it will be called Yiruma. There is a Japanese man with this name who composed a piece of music called "River Flows In You" that I absolutely love. It's written for piano so I've printed it off so I can play it.
On that site it doesn't have any origin or meaning but I know that most Japanese names mean something.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >