Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Suitable Dogs for First Time Owners

Hi

Reading another thread that was discussing dogs that were NOT suited for first time owners, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what breeds would be suitable and their reasons why?

Thanks

Sarah
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Gosh, it is hard to say. It all depends on what the would-be owners are willing to give.

From my experience, I know people with both Labs and Golden's as their first time dogs that have worked out very well. Show bred dogs of other popular breeds (Cocker's, etc.) also seem to work quite well. Then there are some small breeds like Cavaliers, Whippets (the ones we know are very easy and undemanding), Yorkie's (mature very quickly) and so on.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi

I definitely agree with the Cavs, couldn't find an easier dog to live with if you tried - my mum used to breed them many moons ago and I always found them very friendly, easy to train and keep amused.

Sarah
Simira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I really claim that there are no such thing as a suitable breed for a first time owner! What breed suits a person best depends on that persons life and habits, and how much time and effort he/she is willing to put in to the preparations of getting to know the breed.

I know experienced dog-owners I don't think should have a dog at all. And I know non-dog people to whom I'd gladly recommend a Doberman, German Shepherd, Rottweiler or whatever.

It all depends on the person and the life situation, and what life the dog can expect to have with that person. Nothing less.

Of course, for people who are afraid of doing mistakes with their dog, that are unsure on themselves and not even sure if they'd manage a dog at all - I would find a breed easy to handle and good-tempered. But there are also people determined on what they want from a dog and they are willing to give the dog, and then I see no reason why they should have a Shih Tzuh, a Cavalier and a Golden retriever before they can have the Doberman they really wanted!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-09-2009, 06:12 AM
I agree with the above - its dependant on the person. However I have frowned at the Dog Club when first time owners have turned up with a couple of breeds. E.g. Bull Mastiff, Belgian Shepherd.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 06:47 AM
I have to agree with Simira too. Everyone is different so it would be difficult to have a 'general' good first dog. I think first time dog owners really need to be encouraged to fully research their shortlist of breeds and go from there!
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I don`t think it really comes down to Breed. I`ve had difficult and easy dogs of the same breed.I think it comes down to how much the owner is prepared to put into it.
If you`re wanting an`easy-care` dog that doesn`t need much excercise, I wouldn`t get a gundog or herding dog.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 07:53 AM
As long as reasearch is done and the owner is prepared to make the changes etc i dont think any breed should be ruled out.
ATD x
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2009, 08:59 AM
It is interesting what Nick wrote as although I had been brought up with dogs all my life, my first dog I bought was a Belgian Shepherd Terv. I did not know anyone who had one, I had seen the breed in a dog book and liked the look of the breed, back then Belgian Shepherds weren't well known. I went to meet a breeder and Ellie, my new puppy, turned out to be one of the best dogs I have ever owned. She certainly had some traits that I had not been used to before, but I took her to training classes and she was well exercised, happy and lived to a ripe old age of 12. I really agree with most of the comments it does depend on the individual person and what they are committed to.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 11:30 AM
A rescue dog.

I have two friends and my Dad looking for a first dog at the moment, every weekend they are free, I take them to the local animal rescue and we look at a few dogs and choose one to take out for a walk. Once they fall in love I will ask for all the details from the rescue place and get a bit of a heads up on any trouble that may be round the corner for them.

By getting an 18month+ rescue I know we will have passed the difficult puppy months and can concentrate on the finer points of training and bonding. Also they will have me and my experience to help and support them as well as the help and support of the rescue place itself.

Breed isn't an issue and there aren't really any breeds I have warned them against as such, but although all have fallen in love with Kismet, I have said no to Husky or Husky cross as a first time dog and suggested they look at the other rescues first. Then 12 months down the line once every one is settled and in a good exercise routine, if they still want a Kismet, I'll help them find a Husky as a second doggy...

But for someone with no dog and no helpful friend I would still say Lurcher or Greyhound. Could not have a better first doggy in my opinion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »