Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2010, 11:13 PM

Worried about Charlie's mum

shes 75, and isnt in good health. alot of her probs have happened sice she retired, she basically *gave ip* and dont do any thing. tried to get her involved in various things. she always liked swimming. and they do a pensioners session at the local pool. but couldnt be bothered. tried to show her yes there is life after retirement.but she just lays about on her bed doing puzzle books. she was scammed in the summer, but they where not too good as we got to find out and sorted them out, got the police involved ect.
she lived on a mobile home site. now 99% of the places are swish looking flash places. now if i was offered 1 i wouldnt turn it down. but she lives in an ex holiday home one. thats about 35 yrs old. its like living in a metal box. always cold. so she tops up the heating by putting on her gas cooker. but that blew out and the gas was left running for 2 days. its a wonder she didnt kill herself. charlie sorted that out for her. shes got some form of brain problem. where shes very forgetful.but she knows she does it, so its not altzeimers . she lives about 20 miles away so if i got to see her its 3 bus rides, or charlie drives us there,
we managed to convince her that a move to a place nearer to us would be good, and the council although offered her some places they where not suitable for her. also still too far from here.
the caravan is a real mess. just stuff everywhere. ive offered to go n help her have a sort out, but i dont want to nag her, so we said about her having a carer go in twice a day to see what they can do. if SS get involved they would want to put her in a home. which she would hate, so dopes anyone know how we go about getting her a carer?? i wouldnt place an ad in a shop window. because u dont know who u are going to get do u.and shes really trusting.
shes not old 75 isnt a great age is it. but shes given up.
any advice would be great.
im going to pop in and see my doctors receptionist and ask if we went to see her doc what can we ask him to do??
shes a great lady but a right pain in the proverbials some time
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
How about going through a private nursing agency, although I really do think that maybe going through SS would be the best option.

Or would she be happy moving in to sheltered housing, they usually have their own flats with 24 hour care if needed.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
been to see her doctor, he agrees she needs extra help. so now the xmas holidays are over with we are going to see social services about either 1 getting her a carer to come in top see her. or if they can get her into sheltered accommodation. i used to go and deliver medication to alot of the old folk in the sheltered housing. and they where lovely places. theres help if they want it. a day room if they want some company.
we have said b4 anyone comes around to help her, we have got to go through her place and blitz it, moved the cooker. my god there was stuff under there that had been lost years ago, and cobwebs (shudders) so not looking forward to it at all. but needs must. we did get oin touch with 1 agency and they said they would ring back. still waiting!!!
also got to pick her up some batteries for her hearing aid. she couldnt get to the clinic b4 christmas as it was snowy. so i said ring them. maybe they would post some out. she forgot.
gave her a cordless phone. bog standard 1. she cant use it.
basically all over xmas we was running back n forth to her place as she wasnt answering her phone. after 7 calls in 1 day. it gets a bit much.
must admit shes hard work some times. love her to bits i really do. but it would be nice not to have to worry about her so much.
ill let u know what the S.S say.
oh do u know its easier to get help for a dog than it is for a elderly person!!!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
my god what a week we have had. been to M.I.Ls for 2 days solid cleaning up. we found food in the fridge which was months out of date. frozen chicken that had defrosted and left in the bottom of the fridge. it was rancid, in the freezer all the food had de-frosted then re-froze. so she was eating it!! no wonder she was always ill. she had received a delivery from iceland and just put the bag of stuff in the bottom cupboard. the mice was all over the cupboard, they had been eating well for months.
it took hubby 7 HOURS to clean the kitchen !! we threw all her bedding away. got her all new stuff. just started her from new.
he place now looks tidy.
but we are after a carer for her to make sure she takes her meds. and just someone to pop inand make sure shes ok. i cant do it all the time. just a bit of peace of mind i think.
ive had 2 days off yesterday i just slept today we went for a drink. hubby went to mums while i tackled the ironing. then the pub
just going to see what is going to happen now.
she thinks we are having a go. i said to her either this or she will go in a home. she looked shocked but didnt say any more.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
had a bit of a result today. found a carer for MIL yaaa shes going to come in 3 times a week.take the heat off me n hubby a bit. we will still be going over changing her bed and do some shopping ect. but gladys comes highly recommended. she also works with 3 other *ladies* and is known all around the village.
also got a couple of others keeping an eye on her. so panic over. blow social services. wont need your help just yet.