Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Training Hold

Hey guys...

Louie has the basic idea of "Take it" and holds for a bit nothing more than 2 minutes but he mouths whatever I have given him to hold - is there any way I can train him not to mouth? I tried "Aha" whenever he mouthed but then he dropped it

So I need a new method

Please and thank you
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Found this on the net when I was googling to see what to do with Bella as she did a bit of this on arrival, it has worked , she has been with us 4 months now and knows the command and observes it, I didnt use the bitter apple , just rewarded her when she obeyed the command, maybe it will help

Copy from my Doggie research file ! Sorry its a bit long but dont know how to upload attachments to Dogsey !

Puppies learn by feeling things in their mouths. You can consider your puppy’s mouth to be very similar to our hands for learning purposes. Puppies express a lot with their mouths and one hard habit to break them of is mouthing. Every puppy mouths and some mouth more than others. There a few simple tricks that you can teach your dog so that your time together is fun.

The first thing you can try to stop your dog from mouthing is to verbally command your dog when it occurs. A stern “no bites” or some similar phrase will help them to associate their biting with your command. Dogs need a clear signal from you in order to associate their actions with your words. Always use the same words for your command so your dog will see the connection. As you clearly state your command, you can gently remove your dog’s mouth from wherever they are biting you. Young puppies have very short attention spans so be patient as your puppy grows and know that this command will eventually click in their head. If you command your puppy not to bite and they stop, it is a good idea to celebrate and praise or play with them. “Good no bites” or something similar will help to learn that they get more attention when they don’t bite than when they do.

Another way to stop your dog from mouthing is to buy a spray called “Bitter Apple” and spray it on whatever they are chewing on that they should not be. Spray the “Bitter Apple” when the puppy is not looking or doesn’t associate you with the spray. If they are chewing your couch after your sprayed it, they will simply think that the couch tastes yucky and will not chew it anymore.

It also helps to have specific chew toys for your dog. As you guide your dog with a “No bites” command, you can also reward them by providing a toy specifically for them to chew and say something to the effect of “play with your toys”. If you can use positive reinforcement, your dog will be much more responsive. After a while, your dog will learn what is okay to mouth and what should not be chewed.

If you have a problem dog that doesn’t seem to get it, you can spray “Bitter Apple” directly in their mouth as you catch them in the act. A really stern “No bites” should be associated with this spray. Most dogs hate the taste and will learn quickly from this. You can also take some vinegar with water and put it in a spray bottle to accomplish the same effect. Be very careful not to spray this into the eyes of your dog. After awhile, you can simply pick up the bottle when your dog is mouthing and they will stop because they know that the taste is not pleasant and they recognize the bottle.

Be very patient in trying to train your dog. They need clear guidance from humans in order to learn. Occupying your dog’s brain and keeping him/her socially active is also a good idea to help curb a “mouther”. Many times, chewing or mouthing can simply be a sign of boredom in dogs. Keep this in mind and try to engage your dog and involve them in your life. A happy dog is one that listens better and minds their manners well. Most of all, enjoy your furry friend and treat them well.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
A lot to read but have copied and pasted it in a doc for later Thank you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Louie has the basic idea of "Take it" and holds for a bit nothing more than 2 minutes but he mouths whatever I have given him to hold - is there any way I can train him not to mouth? I tried "Aha" whenever he mouthed but then he dropped it

First question is, why do you need a dog to hold anything for more than 2 minutes?!

Second, I thought I already posted a suggestion for you to increase duration?

If you chastise a dog for mouthing how will he know if it is because he is mouthing or because he has it in his mouth.

I NEVER want to chastise my dog for this sort of behaviour as in a dog with a weak retrieve drive it can destroy it altogether.

Are you using a clicker? You have to click for no mouthing,
so click when the jaws close, wait a sec and then throw food away, this means he can pick up the item again and hold again, then gradually increase duration.

If he drops it, say nothing and walk away.

What does he ACTUALLY do?

Does he hold it correctly in the first place?

Where in his mouth does he hold it?
does he throw item to back of throat?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I`d be teaching it for seconds, not minutes. Another good armchair excercise this. Keep it short and fun.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Hey guys...

So I need a new method

Please and thank you
Try a dumbell or something similar that is heavily weighted at one end so that if he mouths he drops it.

I click the hold with a clicker during a no mouthing and then lighten the weight and keep clicking no chewing.

Alternatively pulling lightly in the item as your dogs hold can create enough bite resistance to stop mouthinhg - again click for no mouthing.

Good luck
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I would click the second it is still in his mouth, therefor he is being rewarded for it being still not for just having it in his mout, just click and drop your titbit, he will of course drop the article, giving you another chance it really doesnt take to long till they catch on.Ignore unwanted behavior, walkaway or whatever, keep your training sessions short and happy
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd be careful about using an adversive like Bitter Apple in conjunction with holding things.

Best to praise what you want and ignore what you don't
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I had trouble with my dog messing around.

Clicker is fab keep things very possitive, plus I found giving the dog the dummie/object while it's on a lead as soon as you give the object start walking around or give the object while walking so the dog doesn't have chance to think about doing anything else with the dummie other than hold it, if it starts to mess around change direction so it has to think about where it's going, this has worked really well for my dog (and he'll hold on to it until I take it from him not drop it), once it's going well (take it slowly - don't mean speed, mean training) - then start adding sits etc, then when all is going well start off lead heeling first like before .....

Just telling you what I've done with my dog.

My dog is very keen on holding things and will do so for along time.

Sophie

ps I'd stick to just one command ie just 'hold'/or wahtever not take it then hold etc
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`d be teaching it for seconds, not minutes. Another good armchair excercise this. Keep it short and fun.
I started with seconds - then got to minutes - put I want him to hold and carry - eventually - but I don't want him mouthing what he has just incase I get him into bird retrieving.

Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Try a dumbell or something similar that is heavily weighted at one end so that if he mouths he drops it.

I click the hold with a clicker during a no mouthing and then lighten the weight and keep clicking no chewing.

Alternatively pulling lightly in the item as your dogs hold can create enough bite resistance to stop mouthinhg - again click for no mouthing.

Good luck
Interesting - I never thought about weight..

Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
I would click the second it is still in his mouth, therefor he is being rewarded for it being still not for just having it in his mout, just click and drop your titbit, he will of course drop the article, giving you another chance it really doesnt take to long till they catch on.Ignore unwanted behavior, walkaway or whatever, keep your training sessions short and happy
I'm not clicker training the "Hold" - he knows "good boy" though, he's food motivated so if I got food out he wouldn't pick up and hold what I wanted him too...he does know when he's done good - but I suppose I could try the clicker with it (when I find it - it's disappeared)

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I'd be careful about using an adversive like Bitter Apple in conjunction with holding things.

Best to praise what you want and ignore what you don't
Oh No "Aha" isn't an aversive for him - I didn't train it that way - it was just something that let him know I want something else not what he was doing - Ahhh thats why I haven't had a longer "hold" *Lightbulb*

Thanks guys
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >