Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Tug toy antics

I play tug with Polo a lot and use his toy for training.

Polo will release his tug toy on command most of the time but sometimes needs telling twice if he does not win the toy much. This is rectified by letting him win a lot.

The trouble is when he wins he plays by himself for several minutes before returning the toy to me when we first start a training session. Therefore I am reluctant to let him win the toy and so the cycle continues.

It drives me mad as precious time is lost whilst he is charging about with his toy. How can I get him to want to return his toy straight to me? I'm sure my answer is in my question somewhere but I'm having trouble spotting it.

Ideas please?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 07:48 PM
How about having a quick game of tug with him whilst your training but making him let go, then relinquishing the toy to him once training is over?

I know this is a different situation but when I train Flynn with his gundog work I use a tennis ball as a reward. His reward was the chance to run round with the ball once he'd retrieved the dummy straight to hand but once he started running round he was reluctant to bring the ball back and i'd stand there for ages trying to coax him in.

Now, he only gets the ball at the end of the session and it also means he relies on it less because he's not expecting it all the time.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Is the Tug toy you use for training the same one as the one you use to just play?
For My Collie I have toys that are JUST for agility, the only time he has access to that particular toy is as a reward in training. I don't let go of the toy.
Also stop the Tug game before the dog gets bored of it. So if you were rewarding something in training then the tug game would only last for a few seconds the take the tug toy away.

So separate toy for training & don't let go of it.

Different toy for playing Tuggy away from a training situation.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 09:01 PM
What do you do when he takes the toy away? Do you try and get it back?

I don't do tug with Toby often but when we do I say "leave" and immediately stop playing, ie. stop talking, don't look at him, stop actively pulling, be boring! If he doesn't let go immediately its usually only a few seconds before he realises its no fun anymore. If I'm going to let him have the toy I tell him to "take it" before I let go.

With other toys I do a similar thing. If he doesn't play properly I walk away/close the door. He usually decides its more fun if I'm joining in

You could also have a second toy. When he runs off pull out the second toy and play with it as if its the most exciting toy in the world! He'll probably want that toy then instead and come back
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2011, 09:03 PM
rubber ring tied to the end of a rope should help.

that way he cant run off with it, and you are always part of the game
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I tied a tuggy to an old lead for Celt, then at intervals he was allowed to take off with it.

It is frustrating trying to train a dog that is playing by himself three fields away

rune
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Good ideas.

I do normally hold onto his tugtoy during training mostly as I feel myself getting mad at him . However this is precisely why he does not want to give it up. I can sense some possessiveness in his reluctance!! I would really like Polo to win it ideally as he prefers that.

I'm slightly offended that he prefers to run off ragging his toy and then run back and slap me around the legs or sock me in the mouth with it and run off again than have another round of tug with me.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
The main problem is when i throw his tug eg weave training. With a lead attached I end up throwing the lot

I've got one tug toy he prefers. If I throw the other tug and then produce his favorite one maybe he will return with the other?
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:43 PM
The only time Len 'Wins' the tuggy is if its by accident!! the one for Agility is a tuggy with an elastic handle & that is ONLY for Agility, never for any thing else that way it Keeps its high value. Which is why he doesn't have to 'win' it to keep the game value, just stop the game before it becomes old.

Also I find if Len is not being quick on releasing the tuggy (like last week after 2 weeks of no training) then I'll ask for a sit, then giving it up seems a bit easier.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
http://www.tug-e-nuff.co.uk/index.php?cPath=23

I've got one of the faux fur bungee tugs, I also like the fleece Tuggy's from Klassy canine bakery as they seem to stay quite 'rigid' so better for holding.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >