Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peterpan556
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2010, 03:28 AM

Orange juice and green tea

My Chihuahua likes to drink OJ and Green Tea, is this O.K.?
Is a little sugar ok for dogs?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Sugar will not kill a dog, but is just as bad for them as it is for us.

TBH the only reason you know that the dog likes it is because you have either offered it to her or she has managed to help herself, the question is why?
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by peterpan556 View Post
My Chihuahua likes to drink OJ and Green Tea, is this O.K.?
Is a little sugar ok for dogs?
Why would you ever give it to your dog in the first place?!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm sure plenty of us have accidentally left a glass or a plate within reach and not realised until the dog's had a taste.
However, as said - it's not going to be fatal but it's not healthy. Dogs don't need it and to be honest they won't miss it so make the sensible decision for them and consider their longterm health. If you want to give them a tasty treat now and again - keep the water from boiling your veg and let it cool down, voila, yummy veg-flavoured water full of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Simmer a stock bone (chicken neck/carcass or something like an ox tail or venison bones), bin the bone (as cooked bones are dangerous) and give the cooled stock as a treat - you can freeze the excess in icecube trays to give as yummy cooling treats in summer or to defrost and add to meals when the dog is off-colour and needs tempting to eat.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Chis tend to be known for having bad teeth. I wouldn't be offering sugary drinks such as orange juice or the like since they will only cause rot and more tooth problems.

There is no reason to give a dog these sorts of things, it isn't healthy, so do the dog a favour and stop.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Green tea is supposed to be beneficial for human health due to antioxidants (i find it helps to settle stomach too) but not sure if would be so for dogs.
Olibabe
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I'm sure plenty of us have accidentally left a glass or a plate within reach and not realised until the dog's had a taste.
However, as said - it's not going to be fatal but it's not healthy. Dogs don't need it and to be honest they won't miss it so make the sensible decision for them and consider their longterm health. If you want to give them a tasty treat now and again - keep the water from boiling your veg and let it cool down, voila, yummy veg-flavoured water full of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Simmer a stock bone (chicken neck/carcass or something like an ox tail or venison bones), bin the bone (as cooked bones are dangerous) and give the cooled stock as a treat - you can freeze the excess in icecube trays to give as yummy cooling treats in summer or to defrost and add to meals when the dog is off-colour and needs tempting to eat.
Thats brilliant!! Soup for dogs!!!
1 question, does it give them the runs? or gas?
i ask because i know cabbage water is brilliant for collicy babies.
still think its brilliant though!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, it's only going to contain what you put in it. If you know your dog can eat carrots without an upset stomach then "carrot water" should be fine. But if your dog has a sensitivity to chicken and you boil up a chicken carcass to make stock, there's a good chance that'll upset his tum too.
As long as you don't add stuff like salt to it, it's just really flavoured water. I'd be careful with dogs with medical conditions, e.g. kidney problems as the extra water may put a bit more strain on them but I can't see the harm for a normal dog. Just remember that they'll probably drink more of it than plain water so don't feed it just before bedtime unless you want to be waking up for middle of the night toilet breaks!