Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:02 PM

Heather Hammonds

Anyone heard of her?

I just bought a book and a DVD on teaching dogs tricks - I need to teach Louie some new ones and ran out of ideas.
She does it through positive reinforcement as she does a little section on clickers and treating at the right time...

Just never heard of her before..anyone else?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Always remember "Google is your friend"
She has a web page but I don't know if I can post it here.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Always remember "Google is your friend"
She has a web page but I don't know if I can post it here.
Well Google normally is but not in the middle of Crystal Peaks Anyway I bought it, only a fiver, but the info seems really good - and I'm going to teach him to fetch the phone or maybe carry in shopping
cara2002
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:24 PM
carrying the shopping sounds like a good trick.
I havn't heard of her.
But in our old house, i trained my dog to touch a post it note with his nose, when he knew what go touch was, i but the post it note on the light switch and said go touch, and he switched the light off

Unfortunatly the lights in our new house are too high for him, so now i have to switch them off myself

Love teaching tricks!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by cara2002 View Post
carrying the shopping sounds like a good trick.
I havn't heard of her.
But in our old house, i trained my dog to touch a post it note with his nose, when he knew what go touch was, i but the post it note on the light switch and said go touch, and he switched the light off

Unfortunatly the lights in our new house are too high for him, so now i have to switch them off myself

Love teaching tricks!!
Lol Louie from 9 weeks knew how to touch your hand with his nose - if you had the treat in that hand...only taught it him as it was something he did before we gave him a treat - so really I put a word to it, not got him to touch other things though. Touch is only used if the kids want to give him a treat - he has to sit then touch - that way I know he wont snatch. He is quite advanced in his tricks I think - 25 ish. Hard work going over them though
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I have a book by her. I got as it had tips on stopping dogs barking continuosly which milo did when I first got him. Now he only barks to the command 'What do good boys say?'
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ang3l View Post
I have a book by her. I got as it had tips on stopping dogs barking continuosly which milo did when I first got him. Now he only barks to the command 'What do good boys say?'
So she's good then?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:37 PM
As it sounds like you can't access it this is the front page of her website-she seems to keep busy with a variety of things:

Heather Hammonds:
Author of award-winning children's educational books
More than 200 titles published in several genres and languages
Manuscript appraisals - advice for new authors a specialty
Expert editing and proofreading service
School visits
Creative copywriting service
Voiceover artist
Dog training the positive and fun way
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It also says she has GSDs who compete and have won titles in tracking and obedience in Aus.

Hope that helps
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Iv only ever seen the book and DVD (not watched the DVD) set but just a tip - she uses physical manipulation a little too often where a clever lure position would be better (IMHO)

I always think lure reward is better than physical manipulation - not that I'm saying its is necessarily harmful but that the learning process can be longer and less reliable later on, whereas, if you let the dog work it out and get a reward that way - you pretty much have it down on the first full action/reward. I'm not saying rule it out completley, just be careful..