Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Dog meat for Sale

BOGUS labrador steaks, Greyhound burgers, and Beagle chops will be on the menu at Birmingham Farmers’ Market next month.

Boasting to be organic and free range, the pooch meat will be sold in packaging complete with pictures of happy dogs running through fields and swimming in streams to show that the animals were lovingly reared before being slaughtered.

But pet lovers need not worry, as the products have not been made from real dogs. Instead, they are in fact a vegetarian meat substitute being sold in a bid to shock the public and persuade them to think twice before buying meat.

Andrew Butler, campaigner for Animal Aid, which is behind the stunt, will be manning the ‘dog meat’ stall at the market in the city centre’s New Street at 12pm on November 3.

“Most people eat parts of various animals every day, without thinking too deeply about what those animals’ last moments were like,” he said.

“We want people to confront the fact that all of these animals died with the smell of blood in their nostrils and terror in their eyes, and yet they are no different from the millions of dogs who we dote on.

“Our stall will engage the public about the way animals raised for food are killed and why certain animals are deemed unworthy of our compassion while others are treated as part of the family.”

The stall is being set up in a bid to highlight Animal Aid’s recent investigation, which saw it secretly filming at seven slaughterhouses in the south of England.

It claims the footage revealed animals being kicked, slapped, stamped on, and going to the knife while still conscious. The probe has prompted Government watchdog the Food Standards Agency to call on nearly 370 slaughterhouses in Britain to install surveillance cameras to help enforce legislation against cruelty to animals. Tim Smith, chief executive of the FSA, said Animal Aid’s findings were “sickening”.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top- ... z13mBNuojM

Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I remember being slightly traumatized as a child when visiting a market in France when there were pictures of happy horses cantering through fields with flowing manes on the horse meat stall
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:52 AM
That would have upset me too..

I think it's awful. The only people it is going to upset are true dog lovers, nobody else will care anyway

I posted it to warn people who might be going to that market
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes - talk about shooting yourself in the foot. People who are animal lovers will be revolted and certainly won`t stop to sign the petition or whatever.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Best avoid that market with Bella my grey them , I agree its not the way to get support is it ?
zoomdawg
New Member!
Male 

30-10-2010, 11:29 AM
What do you call a Korean man walking his dog? A vegetarian. But seriously, some cultures, mostly SE Asian, regard dogs in the same light as any domesticated animal and a prized food source. Who are we to judge? Though I myself would never consider eating dog meat as a viable option unless it was a matter of pure survival. As a dog lover however, I'd probably choose cannibalism first over consuming "man's best friend".
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 03:33 PM
In my younger days I was an avid animal welfare and environmental enthusiast and i''ve seen horrendous images in the past. Hence why I became a veggie but i'm not anymore. I just choose my meat more ethically.

No death is nice, there is always pain and fear but it's our responsibility to ensure this is minimised as much as possible. I think such propaganda as that planned for the Birmingham Farmers market doesnt necessarily work to change opinions.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 04:22 PM
OT but I`m just wondering what vegetarians feed their dogs (and cats)?
I used to be veggie myself so no offence meant - just curious.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I was still a veggie when I put my dogs on a raw diet. I was never offended by meat or others eating it, just chose not to do it myself at the time. I did take a while for me to get used to handling the meat and sawing frozen bunnies up into thirds!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Go into my local pub and announce that you're a vegetarian. Just don't expect to get out alive. Most of the clientele are beef farmers.

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >