Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Chicken quarters

Gave 2 of these to all 3 of my dogs, 2 of them ate them with relish and crunched the bones but my border was totally disinterested and refused them, i held them and encouraged him, walked away to give him time, he likes raw meat liver and the like but not these any ideas on how to encourage him, this was his first joint or so to speak.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
this was his first joint or so to speak.
Good on him for not giving in to peer pressure

On a serious note, some dogs can be a bit wary with raw. Chicken will be a different texture to raw so may take some getting used to. Has he had any raw chicken before? Giving him some raw meat taken off the bone might encourage him a bit more. If that doesn't work, try him with cooked chicken and then start mixing cooked chicken in with raw chicken and see if he'll accept that, and slowly do less cooked and more raw. Might be that once he's eaten a few bits he'll be fine with a quarter, or you might need to work up gradually.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Perhaps try him with a chicken wing which is a bit smaller?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
perhaps also try slashing the skin and pouring over hot water and cooling before trying him

my boy will often bury things a few times before he will give in and eat it!
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-10-2010, 12:08 PM
You could try chopping the leg into chunks, I find that a decent cleaver goes straight through with a good clout, it is also easier if the chicken is frozen. If he was completely uninterested then it may just be he doesn't like chicken.

Cooking the chicken just very slightly brings out the smell more and makes it more appealing to some dogs. Might be worth a try. Only use breast fillet though as cooking legs/wings dries out the bone and can make them splinter.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 01:16 PM
You could try to give him it frozen.
My lot love a frozen chicken portion, They have them if I have forgotten to take the chicken carcase out the freezer the night before!! lasts longer too

And yes it is safe to give them frozen meat. I also give them frozen tripe in the summer for a ice lolly treat!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Gave 2 of these to all 3 of my dogs, 2 of them ate them with relish and crunched the bones but my border was totally disinterested and refused them, i held them and encouraged him, walked away to give him time, he likes raw meat liver and the like but not these any ideas on how to encourage him, this was his first joint or so to speak.
If he likes raw liver, smear some on the skin (and under the skin) of the chicken and maybe that will get him started?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
If he likes raw liver, smear some on the skin (and under the skin) of the chicken and maybe that will get him started?
Thank you for your help, he has really started to tuck in now and is so more excited at feeding times.