Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Car Insurance arrrrggggghhhh!!!

I really can not believe the rise in car insurance!!!! all my quotes are coming back higher then when I 1st past my test 5 years ago and I have 6 yrs no claims and no points. Just can't believe my ears, the cars only worth £400 and the lowest band to in insure and the prices are nearly £1000
Think it maybe time to sell the car
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:16 PM
same here, we had a crash in Jan I was paying about £500 now its gone up to £1127

Its a rip off, I wsent from 9 yeras no claims to only 4 and I wasn't even driving my hubby was . It was classed as his fault but we skidded on ice so was a freak accident really but they dont look at it that way

ETA one company wants £2700!!!! So really pays to shop around, have a look on the comparison sites
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh dear!! They are a complete rip off!! I have 6 yrs no claims and no points!! And apparantly it is gonna go up again, well 2 be honest i'm not surprised because most people are gonna have to sell their cars. Mines gone up by £450.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Definately look around, I got quotes varying by hundreds of pounds last year. One thing I've noticed doing quotes for the new car I'm possibly buying is that adding OH to the insurance actually brings the price down by about £200, so quite a lot! It would be mega handy to have him on there anyway as he only has a company car, which means if we go anywhere with the dogs then I have to drive, this way I can lumber him with some of the driving but the saving would be a big bonus! Might be worth looking into yourself, adding someone else to the policy?
Perhaps doublecheck that all your details are correct too, I got an amazingly low quote last year and then realised it had defaulted to saying I've had my license 10 years - not sure quite how it accepted that considering I couldn't have got a license at 13
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:27 PM
My OH has no license, and i@ve got no1 else to add. At least if we sell the car well be able to afford he's lesson's looooool
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 03:27 PM
That's awful,they did report on the news that insurance would be going up.
Mine isn't too bad,I don't have any no claims discount and this is the first time I have had my own policy and car,always been a named driver on O/H's insurance,but my mine is £370,fully comp,but then I only drive a 3 door 1.5 Almera,or also known as the kids taxi and dog car lol.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 04:11 PM
If you do get a quote on a comparison site, make sure you go to the compaies own website and get a quote direct from them!
You often end up saving more as they aren't paying the comparison site!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Try Swiftcover. They are the cheapest for us. My hubby and I both drive our BMW Z3 and he's had 3 crashes, none of them his fault and the premium hasn't gone up at all. We pay £320 a year fully comp.
OK so we have both been driving a very long time but they only ask if you've had a licence for 5 years or more.
You can pay by installments but it is a bit more expensive to do that.
They do everything online only and you print your own insurance certificate. Definitely worth a look.
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Direct Line has been really good for me, I paid £720 just after I passed my test and only paid £510 this year Don't get their break down cover though, total rip off considering RAC do it a lot cheaper.

Best to look around, if you like the company you're with (like I did with DL) ring up and tell them you're considering moving if they can't match a cheaper quote. Pushed DL down to £520 from £590 doing that
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
If you do get a quote on a comparison site, make sure you go to the compaies own website and get a quote direct from them!
You often end up saving more as they aren't paying the comparison site!
This is what I tend to do, also another good trick is to get a quote as a new customer from the insurance company you're already with (online though obviously). You'll often find the new customer quote will be quite a bit cheaper than the renewal quote, then all you do it cancel your current policy and take out the new quote offered online.

That said I struggled to get a similar price this year to what I was paying last year. Ended up paying about £40 more this year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >