Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 08:19 AM

My Mum's not well

My mum had a cold last week. It came on quite slowly, but by Sunday night the symptoms of the cold had gone.
Instead she had a completely raw throat and her tongue started to get ulcers. She couldn't swallow food, only tiny sips of water.
Yesterday morning she went to the doctor's who said she has some kind of bacterial infection, gave her some penicillin and tols her to drink as much as she could manage.
After 3 doses of penicillin the pain had gone enough that she was able to have a very soft jacket potato last night which was the first thing she'd had since Sunday morning.
I had a text this morning saying she's back off to the docs at 9.10 because she couldn't go to bed last night. Her throat is so tight that if she lies down she chokes.
Naturally my dad's really worried for her, personally I would have probably taken her to hospital if it was that bad.
Am crossing everything that the doctor is able to sort it with something stronger as she can't even swallow water now.
I really hope she doesn't end up in hospital, she's not a good patient!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 08:28 AM
That sounds scary, I know when I had the tumour in my throat it used to press on my windpipe when I laid down, its a horrible feeling when you casn't breathe properly or swallow, and if your mums throat is sore too then that's double the discomfort.

I hope the doctors manage to sort her out so she doesn't suffer these symptoms any longer xx
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your reply, that must have felt awful.

She's in hospital now. The doctor she saw this morning said it's probably severe pharyngitis and she needed to go to hospital urgently.

Am feeling a little shakey as is generally my way over medical things.

Hopefully will hear what's going on soon.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I hope your mum gets well soon. And that you are ok too. x
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Thank you so much.

I've been to see her twice today. I managed to squeeze 15 mins in before work, which was long enough because she was feeling so rough, and work let me off early so I could get back before visiting time finished. She's had 3 different nebulisers and she has a drip for steroids, anti biotics and fluids.

She had 2 endoscopies because the concern was what was making her throat close up when she has no tonsils. It turns out that her vocal cors are a mess! The registrar hasn't seen anything that bad before.

When I saw her tonight she was a lot better and she is due to have 3 more changes of the drip bags (sorry, don't know what they're called!) which should take her up to late morning tomorrow and the consultant thinks she'll be fine by then.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Poor mum - that sounds just ghastly.

Hope there's an improvement today.

x0x