Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 09:51 AM

Has your dog(s) ever met a fox?

On our walk this morning a fox ran straight out in front of my 4. I had my heart in my mouth for a minute. Noah and Honey chased it into the woods, but came back after a minute after a couple of calls. I thought they may have chased it for miles!! Luckily they came back quickly.
Blue and Looby didnt even bother!!

I was pretty surprised, my dogs have a good recall, but thought instinct may take over, but it didnt!

Do you think they just thought of it as a dog??

Have your dogs ever seen a fox and how do they react?

It was a gorgeous one, all shiny in lovely condition, didnt look like one of the scruffy city ones you sometimes see.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Yep quite a few times We have one that lives by our horse field. We see it go across the fields a lot, and though the woods, the only time they chased it was when we were walking down the road it was in the bushes next to us following us, and then it crossed the road right in front of us, all 3 of them ran after it, Collie went into the bushes after it but they boys just stopped at the bushes and came back, Collie came back about 2 mins later after she has searched the area fully, I knew she wasn't going to catch it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Foxes/Badgers = all good for a chase (with good intentions of playing)

Ive had badgers run past my feet completely underimpressed with a having a B&T trying to make friends, fortunately for the boy he hasnt cornered one a loud sargeant major style 'LEAVE IT!!' usually does the trick
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 10:15 AM
We get loads of foxes round here, and Jake sees them most nights on his evening walk. he is never really interested in them though, he probably would chase them if he was offlead and they ran... but more for the chase than anything. generally he has a wee look at them, and then carries on happily... if a cat goes past though, he pulls frantically to get at it!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately my dogs see foxes as public enemy No. 1!! We have foxes that visit the garden at night, probably the smell from their bones if they've eaten in the garden attracts the foxes. I always clear away any uneaten bones but no doubt the smell lingers.

If my dogs smell/hear/sense that a fox is around, they go ballistic at the back door, to the extent that I worry that the cat flap isn't going to survive! I always ensure that any foxes get a warning before letting the dogs into the garden as I don't want any fights or injuries to dogs or foxes.

But with the cats it's very different ~ I've seen both cats sitting a few feet away from a fox, no antagonism or fear from either animal.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Im worried that a fox will come a long and snatch Totts one day when shes offlead. She bounds through the grass like a little rabbit lol and she is smaller than a giant rabbit im probably being totally stupid but it really does scare me
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Kia see's them all the time on our evening walks. And sometimes during the day in Gunnersbury park! She always shows a lot of interest and has chased one before. But I think it may just be with the intention of playing! The urban foxes on our street follow us at night and can get quite close! I think they are just being curious about her as they look quite young...

S x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes. They don`t seem that bothered.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Rupe reacts to them either the same way he does other dogs and wants to attack them. Shadow and Wolf never bothered about them. In fact one night we called them back from the other side of the field and were quite surprised to see another dog with them. It was only as they got closer we realised it was a fox. I don't know if they'd interacted with it in any way or just ignored it but they weren't bothered by it following them.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Bruno has issue with them every night ... Phil takes him to the park about 1am and lets him offlead for a run, as he doesnt get off during the day. There are a gang of youngish foxes and they deliberately bait Bruno into a chase with them, knowing they are loads quicker and slim enough to fit through the railings that surroudn the park, where bruno cant !! LOL

My hubby says its hilarious- they stand 50feet infront of them on the path, wait til the dog has seen them, start running and then run rings round the dog quite literally !!

They certainly get Bruno exercised for us !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >