View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2010, 02:01 AM

My dog is guarding things and picking fights - help!

I posted here last about our new addition - Bear, the PMD.
I have to say I took the advice on board and he is coming along so nicely in just a few short days he's relaxed and really surprised us with how he's responded.

I never realised we had a real problem with our eldest Welsh Sheepdog, Skye, until we'd had Bear a while. She has acted as mother-figure to our pups, and so when she took a toy off them that she wanted, that was fine. When they got old enough to challenge her and she told them off, put them in their place, we didn't think too much of that either. When they tried to scrounge food from us and she rushed in and told them off - we kinda thought that was a bit like taking the law into her own paws, as it were, but unfortunately didn't think anything more of it.

Now we have our new addition, Bear - a 3-4year old PMD, she's trying to do the same with him - except far more OTT. He's already responded in like to a challenge over a bone, but played fair and didn't actually bite. Skye then treated him with sulky respect for a few days and now, this evening, when we were eating, she's been like a snapping monster trying desperately to get past us to get at Bear when he's standing anywhere near. She's also gone more OTT with the other pups and is lunging at them if she's getting fuss and they come to say hello, or if she's on the sofa and they try to get up.

Calming her down is a challenge, if you can get her to sit down and lie down and roll over, then she will, but she won't relax and she pings straight back up to rush back and continue telling off the other dogs.

This is going to be a serious problem with Bear as he does not have infinite patience and he's already told her once - I can see him feeling like he will have to be harsher next time she challenges him over something. Plus, she's not being very fair about it and I'd prefer if she left the rule-making and enforcing to us!

I had a think, and perhaps the best way is to distract her, call her out of the room and give her some commands to work on - but is this avoiding the situation or will she learn that if she starts growling and being stupid she gets more attention? She's very clever and already tries growling and bristling as if guarding the house if she wants to be invited onto the bed or sofa.

I realise we probably have a lot of things to change so that Skye can learn how to behave so our home is a bit more peaceful, but I would be really grateful for any advice from people who have experienced this - and especially the breed-type. She's highly-strung when worked up, persistent and head-strong (think a troublesome akita in a little body - that's what I've been told she's like!).

In the meantime we are upping the walks for Skye specifically and having more time for focussed training with her to try and work off some energy. I think any excess energy or frustration will not be helping the problem. Are backpacks any good for training to help calm dogs?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Im probably going to get shot down in flames here hun by some, but here goes.

I read that as you already had Skye then added a new addition a 3-4 year old but you want Skye to learn manners.
In your thread I don't see where the new addition learns manners...sorry but I felt it a little harsh on Skye.

Skye has been allowed to teach others in the past by your own admission so why would you not expect her to do the same with Bear.

Why is Bear allowed to stand near whilst your eating, he's new to the pack structure for one, he's a older dog not a puppy so he's going to be more of a threat to Skye and he's come into her home.

I think teaching Bear some manners too would be the way to go too.
Skye has alot to except at the moment IMO

Hope all goes well and congratualtions with your new addition
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally that was our thought - but then, Skye teaches everyone else manners but has none herself. It's not really manners with Skye - she's guarding OUR food - so that she then can take up the scrounge at even closer quarters than anyone else.

Also, I just think I'm going to have a serious dogfight on my hands if I allow her to do that to him. Bear is about 3 or 4 times the weight and size of Skye and I'm very worried she may push it too far and end up seriously injured.

If he was a big pup then I guess we wouldn't worry about this behaviour, but he's not, he's a mature dog who knows his own mind and knows he's not going to stand for being bossed around by a tiny 18 month old.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Why is Bear allowed to stand near whilst your eating, he's new to the pack structure for one, he's a older dog not a puppy so he's going to be more of a threat to Skye and he's come into her home.

I think teaching Bear some manners too would be the way to go too.
Skye has alot to except at the moment IMO

Hope all goes well and congratualtions with your new addition
Oh, and he's not allowed to stand near but when I tell him to go and lie down - Skye jumps up and runs over to 'help' as it were, but she just growls and snaps.

He is being taught manners as we go along, bit by bit, but it's hard to do it when Skye's constantly 'helping me out'
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that info, so as I see it Skye is being a ''useful'' Collie, so I wonder therefore has she working collie in her.

My first point would be ''working Collie'' in a home is harder then a ''pet bred one'' I have one here, they are nosey, upfront,expecting all jobs to be thiers, herdy, bullish determined, obcessive etc., all the things that make living in house a nightmare.

Without being judgemental and honest Im not these were problems with her before Bear set foot into the house, something that could of done with (IMO) thought before having another dog. Awareness of a habit/s of a dog is easy, but dealing with it is a must

Maybe Wys(dogsey member) will come in and think of something that could help or maybe you could pm her, but my personal thoughts (owning a worker) is that upping walks etc for a highly strung collie only makes matters worse, highly strung collies with working instincts get more and more stressed without mental stimualtion, how you are going to overcome this is going to be hard.
I have the fortunateness of having 3 without working traits, so Skye (our skye) is lucky enough to have jobs without interferance from the others.
We have Cockerals, chickens, furries etc,. that she can herd in and out morning and night and I keep that her job as this is something she can be possesive with.

For your Skye 18 months is still very young I feel she needs working jobs, not sure how you are fixed in establishing that for her, she needs to be at your side and to listen to your commands to keep her fixed on you, so going back to basic training with her IMO is the way to go rather than to try and tire her out, exercise doesn't do this Im afraid it only heightens to mode to be on the go.

PM Wys and ask her what she thinks, Im sure she will be happy to give you some helpful info. I could but Im the type that likes to work with the dog in the flesh
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 11:36 AM
You need to expolain to her that you can cope without her help and that what she is doing is unacceptable to you.

She sounds a bit confused at the moment about life in general. She'll sort herself out with a bit of boundery setting I expect.

Personally----and this is only me and what works for me and mine at the moment------I stop any kind of aggro fast and usually tell both dogs involved to stop. I don't favour either as sometimes you can read the situation wrongly. After all you don't see the same eye contact or small body movements in the same way the dogs might.

I would also avoid flashpoints like the plague, the less fusses you have the calmer the dogs will be generally.

Off the sofa as soon as she snaps---not acceptable. Use a trail lead, not because she will bite but because it is easier and less personal.

How long have you had Skye?

DAP might be a way to go just to generally calm things down a bit, also Zilkene (sp?) or valerian.

I wouldn't imagine Bear will hurt her but you really don't need the hassle.

Learning curve!

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-09-2010, 07:08 AM
stiar gates and/or crates?