View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Why do some other owners take offence when I put my dog on the lead :?

Hi All,

As some of you might know, my dog is scared of most other dogs. However, he has really improved of late, and now I just put him on the lead when another dog approaches, it doesn't matter if the other dog is a bull mastif or a king charles, Eds is just happier on the lead near me.

Most other owners are lovelly, they see I have put mine on the lead they will either call theirs back or put theirs on the lead also until we have passed.

But some people seem to think it is rude to have another owner put their dog on the lead!! They will call out their dog is fine, whilst he/she is bouncing up to mine, who is now on the lead and getting nervous... if I ask them politely then to call theirs they can get quite irritated and even rude! I have actually had some people make offensive comments

Why cant certain people, just accept that my dog, doesn't want to play with their dog, and would liked to be left alone and get on with his walk?

If I see someone with their dog on the lead, I would automatically put Eds on too, it is just good manners in my opinion!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I don`t . i just assume they`ve got a problem.
The ones who do annoy me are the ones who use an extending lead and let their dog jump all over mine, and when mine object, glare at me and say `Oh, come away, Fluffy, those dogs don`t want to say hello`.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Im the same as you, if mine are offlead and i see someone with a dogs thats onlead i always put mine on as i always think they are usually onlead for a reason.

I wouldn't worry what others think, it always amazes me when people's offlead dogs come running over to mine "oh my dogs friendly" - thats all very well but how do they know that my dog is ? (mine are but tend to get a bit boisterous sometimes)

I had a foster dog that was no good with other dogs so he was onlead and muzzled all the time, still people let their dogs run up to him and stood and watched while i struggled. I have had to ask people to keep their dog away as he's not good with other dogs thats why he is onlead and muzzled
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I got so fed up with this that I now tell people that my dog has an infectious skin disease and the vet told me to keep her on a lead so that other owners would leash their dogs! That makes them move quickly to stop their dog charging over to Cherry and upsetting her. Self-interest is the only way some people will behave right I'm afraid.

Cherry doesn't like strange dogs in "her space" and will "kick off" if they come charging over. That's why she is on a lead.
I recall my other dog if I see another dog leashed-just common sense and courtesy really.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, I just had to vent today as I met two in row. The skin disease is an excellent one!! am definitely gonna use it!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:24 PM
The only problem I have it when people wait till they are really close
Mia is fine with offlead dogs but not so good with onlead ones
Too often people come right up to us then put their dog onlead right infront of Mia - and that stresses her out
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
You can't win, can you? I'm always grateful if people put their dogs on lead when they see my dog on lead. Some people do call out that their dog is fine, I know, but they don't seem to realise that not all dogs are okay around other dogs.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh stuff them. Seriously just ignore them, I got sick of this and now I just don't let it bother me. The "but my dog is friendly" type drive me nuts. Sorry to stereotype but it's mostly bouncy lab owners round this way. Just because their dog wants to be everyones best friend they cannot understand when another dog doesn't. They just assume because their dog is friendly then that's all that matters

You are being responsible and watching out for Eddie, for his sake and everyone elses. You carry on, your doing great and stiff everyone else. What do their opinions matter anyway? Some people have no thought for other dogs.

For example I took Cain to the park the other day and wanted to let him run free with a long line and muzzle. It's a big green and I could see people coming. But this one guy with a collie, the ONLY dog in the whole park decided to come and sit within 15 ft of us! We couldn't move as there were kids doing sports on the other side. Collie obviously was ok with the kids as he'd just walked from over there. I was fuming at his thoughtlessness. I felt like screaming "hello, I have a large muzzled dog on a long line which I am clearly trying to train, you have the WHOLE park and you come and sit next to us! WTF?!" I don't know, maybe I was over reacting, it just seemed like he was oblivious to us and the situation I was trying to deal with.

The thing I've learned is that the majority of dog owners with super friendly dogs will never understand the stress and care that goes into trying to successfully walk an aggressive dog, they will never be thinking about your perspective.

Stuff them, walk on and fund some sensible people

ok, look, you made me rant! I'll shut up now
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:43 PM
If you just assume most other dog owners you meet are numptys, it's a really pleasant surprise when you discover one that isn't. You are doing really well with Eddie, hold your head up and stick your chest out!
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Surprisingly i don't have this problem often, normally if i see another person or dog... and they are going to walk passed or near me i will put Zara on her leash. Basically for her safety, their have been a far few people who have over reacted.... out of fear? because of Zaras presence.

So why not get yourself a GSD and keep other people away lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >