Our sister sites
Our sister sites
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Dogs and still water

Hi all,

I know that it's not a good idea to let your dog swim in still water, but what if there is a large fountain moving the water around?

There is a park I go to all the time (Raphaels park in Romford, Essex in case anyone knows it) wih a large lake and Missy is always trying to have a swim but I have stopped her so far. Would it be safe to let her swim?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I think its like many things, you have to balance up the risks against the benefits.

How clear is the water - I usually go by that. If it looks really manky, I'll stop them, though having said that, they will often disappear in undergrowth and come back covered in thick pond muck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Lots of bacteria lurk in still waters, especially with the hot sun beating down on it, it's a perfect breeding ground. Even if the fountain is pushing it around, the bacteria still stays there. As Hali said, it's a risk, lots of people do it, I wouldn't be one of them, you have to weigh it up for yourself.

You only have to look at Liverbird's recent thread when she nearly lost her beloved Bailey and that was sea water, it's constantly on the move. The worst thing I worry about with this type of water is the giardia, coz both my dogs had that last year, probably from drinking the water out of an old bucket I had sitting out in the garden No, I don't like still water that's not constantly replaced or exceptionally clean in the first place, but that's just me, I'm a worryguts, I never court trouble!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I know it well I don't object to my lot swimming or drinking out of ponds as long as they don't look or smell skanky. I think you have weigh up the risks for yourself but my lot drink out of the lake up at Hainault and Epping forest on a daily basis and have yet to suffer any ill effects.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2010, 01:41 PM
thanks all for your replies, I guess it is just down to common sense!

Trouble:- so you are from Romford too - I also love Hainault but Missy has a habit of trying to go down rabbit holes over there!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Daisy swims in Southchurch Park Boating Lake in Southend and has done since I got her. The ducks and swans on it seem pretty healthy.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I was thinking along similar lines as C&D the lake at Raphaels is full of fish so the water can't be that bad.