Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Toilet Training Will it get better??

Ahhh im starting to get worried now as my 13 week old Cocker Spaniel is taking one step forward 2 steps back.

I know i shouldnt listen to people too much but when i ask how long it takes to toilet train they have been saying "a couple of weeks) i have had him for 3!!!!

We have 2 mats down all the time......1 in our kitchen at the back door and one in the hallway.

He does use them both regularly but still makes 3/4 accidents elsewhere. When we take him outside and he does it we praise him ect but most of the time he seems to want to run about and do everything but the toilet. I have been trying to say "do toilet" when i see him peeing even if its not on a mat so he can hopefully associate that with when i want him to toilet.

At night hes in the kitchen with a saftey gate on the door and he does it on the mat all the time through the night.

Im not sure how to carry it forward now and progress without the mats and instead using the garden more.
Should i just keep the mats for the time being or get rid of them??? The smell of urine is wearing me down!!!! LOL

Anyone any ideas on how to help me
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Really patience is going to be needed, your dog is only very young and sometimes it can feel like you are getting no where or going back a step or two. Three weeks to train a pup to go outside would be heaven, but not very realistic for a lot of pups and that expectation is going to lead to more frustration.
Regularly taking them out side every two hours or so, and even though he wants to play, play with him as that can often help stimulate the need to go.
Have a toileting routine, and keep it regular, I take my dogs out straight out after meals, and now find they need to go out after meals as they get use to the pattern.
I feel your pain, in a different way, I have a foster dog that marks a lot, it is reducing but at some point I thought the mop and I were attached permanently together.
Others will have more extensive knowledge on this, and the breed you have, as I believe they are very smart.
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I personally wouldn't use the mats as it's as if you are telling him it is ok to go in the house.

With young pups I try to keep an eye on them and try to get them outside when they look like they are ready to go as well as taking them out regularly and after meals.

As Emma said above they often want to go when they have been playing.

He is still only a baby and it will take time and patience.

June
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi there,
Mine took more than a couple of weeks,more like a good few months

I would as already stated get rid of the pads,I didn't use them with mine I just took them out at regular intervals,every 30 mins or so and stayed outside with them until they had performed.Then gave lots of praise and a reward.

My Meg was an absolute nightmare to toilet train and it took till she was around 9/10 months old before she was reliable.We just use to ignore any accidents and take them out and then clean up with biological washing powder.
Tyler was very easy to train but we did use to take him out regular and also during the night extending the time night by night,till eventually he went through,we did this with Meg too.

Toilet training pups can be very frustrating at times,I know I felt like pulling my hair out with Meg at times,but she did get there and your pup will too,

Good Luck x
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes - it will get better

I think your puppy is just a bit confused as to what is required. You say you give him a toileting cue when you see him peeing indoors - don't think that is a good idea. If you see him start to squat (I am saying 'he' cos my memory is rubbish and I can't remember if it is a girl or boy, sorry), then interrupt and rush him to the door - preferably with him walking rather than you carrying. Once outside he may well decide he doesn't need to pee, but wait a few minutes and cross your fingers. If he does pee give his toileting cue and reward with a piece of chicken, sausage or something high grade. Praise is not really enough at this stage.

Whilst the previous poster is correct in saying that play can sometimes stimulate puppies, I would suggest that you don't join in his play until after he has toileted (if you are fairly sure he needs to pee/poo) but once he has been, play like it is the best thing in the world. If he is very play motivated then he may find this more motivating than food. Let him play before hand, by all means, but wait until after he has been to join in the game.

Sometimes owners are so relieved that the dog has toileted that they immediately go inside. As far as the dog is concerned he might as well hang on for as long as possible - to stretch out the time he has your attention. So don't go indoors immediately he has toileted - unless he wants to, of course.

Take him outside - as already said - after meals, when he wakes up, before visitors arrive etc and also at regular intervals in between (this can range from half an hour to two hours depending on his cycle) and watch him closely for any signs in between. Puppies will usually start to sniff or wander around before peeing/pooing and this is your cue to get him outside.

Yes, I agree - get rid of the mats during the day at least as long as there is someone in the house to let him out. They give off mixed messages to the puppy - telling him that it is okay to pee in the house. If he is on his own for long periods, though, he needs to go somewhere so they can be useful in those instances.

All dogs vary - I have been incredibly fortunate that all four of my dogs have got the hang of going outside within a few days but most dogs take a lot longer. Don't get frustrated, and don't forget to keep an eye on him at all times. Remember his bladder is tiny at this age and he is not being deliberately naughty by relieving himself indoors. As he gets a bit more control he will succeed more and more to 'hang on' til he is outside.