View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nigalius
New Member!
Male 

03-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Looking for advice on what breed to buy.

Hi, this is only my second posting and I hope it is not going to be too long as I am a bit well known for once I start typing my fingers don't want to stop

I am currently living in London UK and dont own a dog but sometime very soon I will be moving to the Aberdeenshire area. I hope it will be close to the coast and somewhere near to Banff/Macduff would be ideal. The type of place I want would be rural or semi rural, definitely a garden, and within easy travelling distance of the coast and open grasslands.

I am 57 years young, and active, I like the outdoors and am definitely not a couch potato. I am single & have many friends. I like to go for walks sometimes over 2 hours at a time, that is in London but when I have moved I would perhaps walk even more. I always carry a camera as one never knows what might be around the corner.
I am a type 2 diabetic but that is controlled by medication.
I have given all those details there as I feel they might be useful to the question that I want to ask...

What Breed of dog shall I buy?

Ideally, I have loved Border Collies. They are (if trained properly) obedient and a good medium sized dog. They are very active and I know they need more attention and excersise than many other breeds. I also know they liked to be taught new things and a lot of time would be taken up with those things. All of that I can cope with, that is no problem. I wonder if that is the correct breed for me with my particular lifestyle. I don't work at the moment and have no intention of doing so for some time yet so I could devote a lot of time to the dog(s).

The qualities I want in a dog are Obedience, Trainability (have I just invented a new word there ) size of no more than medium, and if trained properly, I dont want the dog to be aggressive toward other dogs, though I think that might be another subject.

Does anyone think a Border Collie would be suitable for me or is there another breed of dog that might be better. Within reason I don't mind about the cost of what I buy and the dog would want for nothing as its well being would be my main concern. I have been thinking of buying 2 dogs as I am told that would help to relieve boredom on the occasions I am out of the house and not with the dogs.

Sorry for all the questions but I hope a few readers might be able to give me ideas.

I hope to be making many postings on this forum and when I have bought whatever I do get I am sure to have many questions then. I did look at a couple of other sites but preferred a bigger oe and thats why I chose 'Dogsey'.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers

Nigel.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:56 AM
2x dogs means equals the problems when you can't be there if you were to have them both at the same time unless of course you look to rescue regarding two dogs that need to be re-homed together

As for breeds I really don't think I can advise, one idea of a great dog for one person, could be anothers idea of a complete nightmare - but I wish you the very best of luck with the move and in your search for a lovely new friend.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
I think the dog chooses you. It sounds like you`ve already fallen in love with border collies TBH, so I`d go for what excites you and dive in there.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
HIYA

i think you are the perfect candidate for a rescue, and there are so many waiting for your type of home. It would also mean that you get your 2 hr walks instantly whereas any pup you buy would not be able to do that for a good long time yet.

YOu could get an ex agility or obedience dog if thats very important to you or one in rescue who looks to have those qualities.

I just think when someone isnt working, going to be living in the country, has the time and love to give then you are the perfect rescuer !!!
#
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I agree with the above. You sound perfect for a border collie rescue. As said above you can walk for miles pretty much instantly rather than wait til they're over a year old. They are rescues out there with very few problems who will slot into your life quickly, not all rescues have loads of problems.
Good luck with your search for the lucky dog
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I have type 2 diabetes and the amount of walking i do with my 3 dogs only gives me benefits, have you thought about a springer spaniel, loves walks, very friendly, medium sized, good with other dogs, love water (sea) and very trainable.
Whatever dog you get your setup sounds superb.
Nigalius
New Member!
Male 

03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I had not thought of a rescue dog or dogs. Ideally, I would like 2 dogs of the same breed and wonder if there would be much chance of that being possible from a rescue Centre. I will google 'Aberdeenshire Dog Rescue Centres' and take a look at some of the hits. It there any advantage in getting either a male or female?

I will also look at Springer Spaniels as suggested as the size is ideal and what I am looking for. I did not know they were known to be highly trainable and one of the things I want is to train a dog to be safe and not run off.

I have a friend that lives in Mintlaw and he owns 7 Pomeranians & 2 Chihuahuas. There would, I am sure be many times I would be visiting this friend and I would want to take my dogs with me and therefore, any dog that I have should get on with other dogs that are somewhat smaller, and larger.

Cheers

Nigel.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nigalius View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I had not thought of a rescue dog or dogs. Ideally, I would like 2 dogs of the same breed and wonder if there would be much chance of that being possible from a rescue Centre. I will google 'Aberdeenshire Dog Rescue Centres' and take a look at some of the hits. It there any advantage in getting either a male or female?

I will also look at Springer Spaniels as suggested as the size is ideal and what I am looking for. I did not know they were known to be highly trainable and one of the things I want is to train a dog to be safe and not run off.

I have a friend that lives in Mintlaw and he owns 7 Pomeranians & 2 Chihuahuas. There would, I am sure be many times I would be visiting this friend and I would want to take my dogs with me and therefore, any dog that I have should get on with other dogs that are somewhat smaller, and larger.

Cheers

Nigel.
you could either contact breed rescue within scotland as a whole and look at pairs - as they do come in and are the most difficult to rehome as no one actually wants to take on 2 dogs.

You could also look at Dogs trust as they also have pairs - possibly same breeds you just never know.

I do so hope you go down the rescue route as you sound like the ideal candidate for it !!!
Nigalius
New Member!
Male 

03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes Brundog, (sorry, but is that your real name)? hehehehe. Only joking of course. I can talk anyway, with a surname like mine... lol.

I will look on the net and make phone calls next week to the centres you suggest. What do you think of this idea I have of getting 2 dogs. Should they be one of each sex or both the same? Originally I was going to get one dog but was told that 2 would be better for when I am not at home and the dogs wont get bored and chew things. Is this true?

If I rescued a dog or dogs of an age of say 3 or 4, would there be time to teach it to be obedient. Meaning, at that age, is it not too late? I have the time to give the dogs and within reason I have the money that the dogs will not want for anything and will get the best of what I can give them.

But on occasions I might like to go sea fishing and would be away for perhaps 8 hours. Is that too long for rescued dogs to be alone? If I am close to civilisation I would make enquiries in the neighbourhood to see if there are any kids that might for a payment like to go in and feed the dogs, let them out for a run in the garden and to do their 1's & 2's... hehehehe.

At the moment I am looking at Border Collies or Springer Spaniels, can they be left for that kind of time, with biscuits and water of course. Or would they tend to chew me out of house and home?

Sorry for all the questions,

Cheers

Nigel.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 06:42 PM
HI nigel,
My name is Dani - its on my signature !! LOL

In answer to your specifics about collies and springers, I cant comment on either breed as have never owned them, I am a staffie girl through and through.

However there is something to be said having two dogs - however that depends on the dogs really - its no use having two nutter dogs who wind each other up whilst you are out of the house and thus destroy your home through play !!

I think you should consider what you want from your dog in terms of lifestyle, so if you are occassionally going to be away from home for up to 8 hours a dog with possible seperation anxiety isnt ideal. This is something that rescue could advise on as most well run rescues know there dogs well enough to be able to give you a good basis on their temperement.

You want a dog that you can do decent walks with, a companion etc, the danger of getting two dogs from pup especially at the same time is that they bond more with each other than with you thus, not your ideal from training point of view etc.

I got my rescue dog at 2yrs old and whilst he has some issues we have never resolved ( dog aggression) he has certainly got alot better and is far less of a handful than he was in the beginning. So they are definetly trainable if you have the time and inclination to do it, which you sound like you have. But of course many and actually most dogs in rescue have simply been let down by their owners, its not the dogs that have ultimately done anything wrong. Mostly they are either misunderstood, bought on spur of moment, and not thought through by people who dont believe them to be a lifetime committment. Thdey dont all come with issues - although they will mostly all come with a period of adjustment so I definetly think you are right to wait until you move so that you dont then add to the adjustment by moving house !!

I would have a look at the independent rescues - there are lots all over scotland.

a few I am aware of - not necessarily scottish based but that cover all over the country.

GSD rescue scotland
Border collie rescue
springer rescue scotland
secondchance kennels - based in fife

etc etc.

hope this all helps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >