Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Any recommendations?

Hi all,

I currently have my 2 dogs insured with PetPlan (11 yr old Rott ~ £55) and E&L (yes really- I got it before reading about it on here - 4 yr old Rott ~ £25).

Now we're getting another (Springer) I've got thinking about insurance again. Petplan is ridiculous, but i've also been thinking about moving from E&L for a while since reading about it on here.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage that I could maybe try for the youngest 2 (Charlie (11) has a history)? I was even just thinking of opening a new bank account and putting £100+ into that every month instead.

What do you think?!

Em x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:46 AM
We've been with sainsburys for 3 years, cheapest plan, highest excess and only claimed from them once, they paid out no problems, about £600 for Zeke's leg problems.

Ours are both Akitas, aged 3 and 6, £10 for one, £8 for the other a month, dirt cheap lol.

Not sure about the bank thing, personal choice but wouldn't it be lovely if your dogs were never sick then you could afford a big holiday out of the money every now and then! £100 isn't much to put away each month, I do for the wedding and I don't even miss it tbh xx
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I am with Sainsbury's too for Cherry though I had to change Parker's policy to Virgin last year as they put the premium up so much just because he was 8 I guess!

We have had to claim for an eye operation for Cherry and they have been really good.

However, if I was starting again with Cherry and Parker from when we got them 6 years ago what I would do is put the £50 a month into a savings scheme at the vets for them as I think this would be safer than trusting it to a separate bank account as money might be used for something else in an emergency. I have heard a lot of vets do this sort of thing.

I would have had about £3,000 saved at the vets by now and I know that Sainsbury's will hike Cherry's policy costs up when the policy comes up for renewal because she has had an eye operation which was £600 recently and may be having cataract surgery.
Labramatian
New Member!
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm with Pet Secure. My girls are covered up to £6000 every year (although it doesn't say on the website - I emailed to check that the you basically get a fresh £6000 to play with every year for each condition).

Molly has Atopy costing thousands of pounds of treatment - and she is only 2!

They have payed out every time and my premium actually went down at renewal! I pay £14.95 a month!

10/10!