View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sandra_Nic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 04:06 AM

My 9 month old pup is in season - any advice?

Last night, I noticed a small pool of sticky blood on the floor. I knew straight away that my girl was 'on'.
And I immediately knew where to come for advice...

Just to be clear, I absolutely DO NOT want or have any intention to breed from her. I was advised to let her have one season before I had her speyed.

How long does the season typically last for, any behaviour changes I should look out for, diet changes, etc. How to deal with unwanted attention???

This is going to be tough on both of us, as she walks off-leash every day.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:02 AM
It's going to be exceedingly difficult to avoid unwanted attention. Some dogs can smell an on-heat bitch for miles.

If she was mine, she would be under "house arrest" and there certainly wouldn't be any off-leash walking.

Good luck!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Normally a season will last about 3 weeks - sometimes the first can go on a bit longer.

Some bitches go quieter - some go Hyper! Same with food - some act starving , some go off....hormones are funny things!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Sandra_Nic View Post
How long does the season typically last for, any behaviour changes I should look out for, diet changes, etc. How to deal with unwanted attention???

This is going to be tough on both of us, as she walks off-leash every day.
I would say that you might be better off (if possible) walking her at different times - very early morning, or very late night. This way, you are less likely to attract the attention of other dogs.

Rather than letting her completely off lead, could you get a long line/training line for her, so you can give her a bit of freedom, but feel safe that you are in control.

It's going to be an annoying 3 weeks or so, but at least you'll be in control of everything!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Like humans it can vary - some can be moody cows

Make sure your garden is v secure - male dogs can be very persistent - and your girl could be a right flirt too and break out of places to get to some of these males

It will be easier on your sanity to keep her in, if you feel you HAVE to walk her then go out at times where there is noone about - and keep her on the lead
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I used to take mine on the beach first thing in the morning - reasoning that the tide would take the scent away. But I`d only let her off in the first week - after that they get fruity and will take matters into their own hands and search for a boyfriend
Be careful at the end - they can still be fertile when the discharge has stopped. The only way I found to tell was to see the reaction of male dogs. If they weren`t bothered, she`d finished.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Don't underestimate the efforts she and males will make to get together. Jumping fences, bolting out a door, I have even heard of mating through a chain link fence.
Sandra_Nic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks so much for the advice, I think it's going to be a loooong 3 weeks...

My husband is away for 2 of those weeks (typical ) so it'll just be the kids and me. Our neighbours fence blew down in a storm a few wks ago and they're not fixing it (selling house).

So, it'll be lead all the way
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Like humans it can vary - some can be moody cows

Make sure your garden is v secure - male dogs can be very persistent - and your girl could be a right flirt too and break out of places to get to some of these males

It will be easier on your sanity to keep her in, if you feel you HAVE to walk her then go out at times where there is noone about - and keep her on the lead
Sandra, - sorry but I had to reply to Ben's first line here!!!!
Tut..........shame on you Ben

Other than that, I agree with all that you say.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I have never had a problem with my in season bitch, she has had 2 seasons so far and she is just 10 months old, she is being spayed in 3.5 weeks. All bitches are different, you could be really lucky, you may be unlucky I made sure I walked her near no other dogs, on a lead and early/late I also made sure I knew where she was 24 hours a day, when out of the house, I or someone was with her, even in the garden.. Her first lasted 4 weeks, the 2nd lasted 3 weeks and was really bloody!!
Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >