Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Chase!

Dahlia loves to chase the ducks and geese near our local pond (chase? herd? we're never quite sure because, as you can see in the photo, she never runs straight at them, but instead goes out and around them). She had a blast this morning.

Of course, the chase results in THIS happy grin.

Serious dog.

And a couple other photos. This was what I experienced the other morning.

This was a photo that was taken May 23, 2008, just a few days after we got Dahlia. I was messing around with it and I like the result.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh dear-reminds me of when we first got our 2 dogs. We let them off leash for the 1st time where there was no livestock and Parker took off after a flock of geese and jumped 3 electric fences until he was just a little speck in the distance! Fortunately they changed direction and came back or we would still be out there looking for him!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
We're very lucky with Dahlia. She only goes after them on command. She'll freeze and crouch next to us and wait for the command to chase ("Go get 'em!" -- I'm so high-class with commands! lol) and then she always returns to us pretty much immediately. If she doesn't, calling her name gets her back to us right away.

She sure does love to chase them though!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh that's good! I think they need to klet their hair down as it were, now and again and have a chase where it is safe to do so. Mine like chasing squirrels and Cherry climbs a few feet up the tree after them!

Parker is very good now, after the bad experience of jumping those electric fences, we have trained him to the point where he can be in full flight after bunnies and you call him and he will stop dead and come back to you!! (and he's a terrier).
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Forgot to say-what a lovely place to walk your dogs-beautiful scenery. I liked your last photo the best-unusual.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Love her------I had a similar dog and they are very quick to learn.

She had fun!

rune
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
That's EXCELLENT training for a terrier! Dahlia's a Border collie/Golden retriever mix. Pretty much no training had to go into her recall. She's a big time velcro dog. Once she finds herself that far away from you, she turns around and it's like OMG MY PEOPLE ARE SO FAR AWAY MUST GET BACK!!!

She was also dumped out on the streets somewhere, so she may have some slight abandonment issues.

But yes, letting their hair dog is always important I think. I'm happy to indulge her chasing where it's appropriate and safe!

We do have a lovely park and pond just a couple blocks from our flat, which is wonderful. It's too hard to walk around in the winter when there's a couple feet of snow on the ground, but come spring and summer it's a great walking place. Plenty of dogs go off leash on the back side where there are no cars and we get lots of dog socialization time!

Thank you for your compliment on that photo. I really love that one.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Aww Bless Looks like she was having a fab time Thanks for sharing x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Lovely photos of the beautiful Dahlia

More please!

lozzibear