Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Did I get the right grooming equipment?

I went to Crufts on Saturday and brought some grooming equipment, I think/hope I got the right ones. I'm getting a Standard Schnauzer and am planning on handstripping (rolling for pet coat) and clipping some areas.

Please let me know if you think this is right/wrong:

*Wahl clippers for face/ears
*Blue Mikki stripping knife
*Red Mikki stripping knife
*Mikki 'Coat King' 8 blade
*Mikki slicker brush
*Mikki fine comb
*Thinning scissors
*Face scissors
*Mikki 'Moult Master'

I think that's it for now! I'm going to be getting some friends who've stripped for years to help me at the time, but just wanted to check if I'm on the right track equipment wise.
Thanks
Melanie
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Hello-not sure what you will need for your schnauzer but thought I would say hi as our 2 dogs are always getting called schnauzers (they are Kerry Blue terriers). I like the standard schnauzers-don't see many about and I don't know why they are not popular as I think they are a sensible sized dog and not so vocal as the small ones I have met can be! The black standard one we met in Norwich did look quite similar to Parker my male Kerry.

When we first got our Kerries I bought some grooming equipment and did them myself but it is much harder work when you have 2! If I just had 1 dog I would definitely do them myself.

Try checking with the breeder-they will know what grooming equipment you will need.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 08:33 PM
thanks for taking the time to reply
i will ask them when i go visit next
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I would have left out the coat king and don't know what a Moalt Master is.

You might need some white chalk to help grip some bits and some sort of ear powder for pulling the hair out of the ear canal.

I use Thornit for that
bow wow wow
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry don't like Mikki knives, too sharp as they cut the coat. A better quality stripping knife such as mars I feel removes the dead top coat to allow the new growth to appear .
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I wouldnt use a coat king to be honest. There more about getting the undercoat out in double coated breeds.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 02:30 PM
The coat king will damae a coat that is normally stripped.

The blue and red mikki knives are not so bad the ones with big black handles with red bits on are very sharp.
Mars are good also
Knives are a very personal choice
I use Pearson but mainly the Purple and Orange hauptner
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
The coat king will damae a coat that is normally stripped.

The blue and red mikki knives are not so bad the ones with big black handles with red bits on are very sharp.
Mars are good also
Knives are a very personal choice
I use Pearson but mainly the Purple and Orange hauptner
Hi Melanie like Leadstaffs I use Hauptner striping knives too with wooden handles, I have been using one of them for forty years and it is as good as new. Likewise a fine toothed knife which I use with a hard chalk block to scrape out undercoat. There are many similar ones.
I also use Hauptner Liliput hand shears for chest and ears. Again I have a very old pair and a new pair I bought a couple of years ago which are not of the same quality.
These are the shears...

I haven't used many of the things in the list but do have a pair of good hairdressers scissors, a pair of double edged thinning scissors which don't get much use, a soft bristle brush to brush out all traces of the chalk and a Durham Duplex to blend in the areas where the striped hair joins the feathering on the legs/chest. Of course I also have my finger and thumb and a chalk block for stripping but use them less these days because my dog isn't being shown.