Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julia
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Further help needed -Lurcher/collie cross

Hi everyone, a week or so ago, I wrote explaining the difficulties we were having with our new rescue dog and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who replied giving me advice. Mainly this was to take him to dog classes.

We have now had Alfie for just over 2 weeks, and barring the normal accidents etc of a new dog moving in, he has settled in well. Loves his sleep and his food and is very content around the house. He is still in the following us about mode, but that is getting better.

The reason I am asking for some more help, words of wisden from you is that once he is out of the house on his lead, he is an absolute nightmare. We take him to the local park and he is just looking for every person or dog in the park and cries and pulls on the lead constantly to get to them.

A few dogs have made their way over to us and he has been very friendly, has shown no agression at all, but when they go away he cries to get after them.

We feel maybe as he was a rescue dog, although he was in beautiful condition and could not have been on the streets long and we found him in the dogs home together with another lurcher, who they feel was his brother and they were found together, that he is maybe looking for his previous owner. When he sees children playing football he cries to go to them.

Has anyone else had this problem, we cannot let him off his lead yet and he would just run, he seems to have had no training whatsover, although we believe him to be about a year old.

He is a lovely dog and we do not want to give up on him too quickly but as we are both pensioners, albeit quite mobile, we feel we could not cope this behaviour if there is no way to break it. Can anyone give us any ideas, or things to try as in all other ways, we feel he will be a lovely pet given a bit of time.

Hoping to hear from as many of you as possible if you have experienced anything like this problem.

P.S. We have tried walking him on a harness which protects his neck more but it hasn't had much effect otherwise. Also he has not been castrated yet, does anyone think that that would be any help.

Julia
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2010, 02:45 PM
First and foremost if this dog is only around 12 months old he is still only a pup - albeit a bigger pup This is normal pup behavour which someone else has not corrected or known how to correct. He wants to play play play! He sounds a very social boy which is good from your point of view as you dont want a dog that wants to fight or has fear aggressive issues.

Again neutering could help - it isnt an instant fix as it will take his hormones time to settle down but if only from a health point of view, it is worth getting done.

What you could benefit from is enrolling your boy and yourselves into some dog training classes. First time you go dont take him. Ask loads of questions [write them down before hand] and watch how the trainers interact with the other dogs there and their owners. There are good trainers and classes and there are not so good trainers and classes. It would be preferable to get one where there are less dogs than one with a lot of dogs in their classes - i.e. the trainer has time to concentrate on the few/er dogs in their class than a lot of dogs they cant individualise.

So yes the behavour is very correctable. In the meantime I would concentrate in the house and garden and just quieter walks calling him to look at you and asking him to sit and give him a nice tasty treat such as chicken, cheese or liver. This way you are "training" him to know that when you call him to you or to look at you, he will get something nice. It is very early days yet - it can take weeks for some rescue dogs to calm down and settle down.

He sounds a smashing boy and you sound like a lovely couple. Im sure other folk will have more advice to give.
Shepherd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Velvetboxers said everything I would have said anyway, so I will just try to add what I can.

Definitely don't think about giving up on him, it is very early days and as you have said he seems like he could turn into a lovely companion as time progresses.

Working on getting his attention when you are at home is important, as well as spending time with him teaching him some tricks etc. so that you are strengthening the bond between you.

Give it time and patience and I'm sure it will work out great!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I would also echo the advice you've been given ~ all very sensible. As the others have said, it is early days & he's only a youngster. It takes time for a young dog to get used to new people, sights, sounds & smells, let alone the routine that you want to establish.

It will probably help his behaviour to get him castrated as soon as possible. All the time he's an entire male, his hormones will have a big effect on his behaviour ~ just like any other adolescent male. And the drive to go & meet other dogs will irresistable.

Do you have any friends/neighbours/relatives with calm, well-behaved & sociable dogs? If so, it may be worth asking them if they would join you for a walk so that Alfie can have some company & playtime ~ or what about inviting them round to your garden on a nice day so the dogs can have a romp in the garden?

But he sounds like a lovely sociable dog & well deserving of a chance of a happy life with you.
Julia
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Referring to my e-mail earlier today, could I just thank Velvetboxers, wilbar and Shepherd for taking the time to reply to me. We will be taking your comments on board and if anyone else has any comments to add, I would be very glad to hear from you.l

Again many thanks.

Julia
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree with everything that's already been said. Some good advice there.
When you take him out, try to make yourself more interesting then whatever else is going on around you!! You may look like a complete loon but your dog will love you!!