Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Police and RSPCA raid on kennels results in ‘100 dogs’ seized

THE LOCAL council, RSPCA, police and a vet have raided the home of exhibitor and breeder Violet Humes (Zoflora) and reportedly seized at least 100 dogs.
A few were put to sleep immediately.
The dogs – Poodles of all varieties, Yorkshire Terriers, and Dachshunds – are being held by the council. Among them are the Standard Poodle Ir Ch Kertellas On Bond Street with Zoflora, and the CC-winning Yorkshire Terrier Ir Ch Z Minnie Ha Ha.
A spokesman for On Bond Street’s breeder Roger Bayliss told DOG WORLD that he and Mr Bayliss were in contact with the council and that they were very concerned about the situation.
The RSPCA said it was no longer involved in the case, and its only role was in providing officers to accompany other agencies into the Bradford property. A police spokesman said the West Yorkshire force was taking no action. Bradford Metropolitan District Council declined to comment.
Dachshunds

It is believed that some dogs have been returned to Mrs Humes. She told DW that she had been given back 15 Dachshunds and her daughter Shereen five Dachshunds. It is understood that Miss Humes, who shares the Zoflora affix, does not live at the house.
“The dogs were removed on Wednesday and Thursday of last week,” Mrs Humes said. “I put a lot of the old dogs to sleep – I signed them over to the council. They weren’t ill, just getting old.
“Everything’s a blank. There were a load of people in here and it went on and on. I’ve no idea how many dogs were taken, and they gave me no reason why they were doing it.
“I don’t breed that much. Some of the dogs aren’t actually mine.”
She said she did not know where the dogs were being held, although DW was told they were in kennels which the council was paying for.
( Dog World )
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
So - the RSPCA is `no longer involved`, by which I take it there are no grounds for prosecution.
And the Police have also found no reason to prosecute....
so why have the old dogs been put to sleep and the others taken away?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
It does sound a rather bizarre case. Wonder if we'll ever find out what really happened?

I tell you what - if they are being held by the council and the RSPCA and police aren't involved anymore - do you think they have been taken by the bailiffs for no payment of council tax? It was the 'other agencies' that made me wonder.
vilmusius
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2010, 09:07 PM
It is really bizarre story. But what bailiff would do with the dogs? PTS. Doesn't make sense.

Just a shame, that poor dogs have to suffer...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by vilmusius View Post
It is really bizarre story. But what bailiff would do with the dogs? PTS. Doesn't make sense.

Just a shame, that poor dogs have to suffer...
no the bailiffs wouldn't - but it seems the owner said 'I put a lot of the dogs to sleep'.

But you're right, I think it would cost the council more to keep them etc. than they would make from them, so it probably isn't debt related.

If she didn't have a breeding licence, presumably that would be the Council's responsibility rather than the RSPCA?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 09:27 PM
why were the dogs taken??... a 100 dogs is a bit extreme this has all confused me... i dont understand why they were taken if the RSPCA are no longer involved and police arent prosecuting... although, it says she signed them over so maybe thats why they arent??
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 03:56 AM
There local to me and dog groomers, against my advice a cousin of mine went to look at a yorkie pup before Chistmas she said there were crates upon crates all full of toy breed dogs everywhere, she did say they looked clean and well fed though.
Eventually she's went elsewhere and got a dog said something wasnt quite right and she suspected puppy farming.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
There local to me and dog groomers, against my advice a cousin of mine went to look at a yorkie pup before Chistmas she said there were crates upon crates all full of toy breed dogs everywhere, she did say they looked clean and well fed though.
Eventually she's went elsewhere and got a dog said something wasnt quite right and she suspected puppy farming.
that sounds horrible. 100 dogs alarmed me, but wasnt sure if they were being kept in the house or in kennels... being kept in crates is no life for a dog, and i cannot believe that anyone could give 100 dogs the life they deserve and need, they couldnt possible have the time. it definitely sounds like a puppy farm.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 12:42 AM
She also said the smell was appauling and she had to give 24 hrs notice before she visited....says it all really my house might be a pig stye but my pups in the whelping box in teh dining room will be spotless
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Those poor old dogs, she didn't even give them a chance. She used them until they were no more use to her, and then just got rid of them like they were old rubbish.

Why was some of her dogs returned? Whats going to happen to these 15 dogs when they are no longer able to mass-produce puppies for her!

My guess is the RSPCA are no longer involved as she signed them over, Although its a shame they couldnt have played a part in rehoming some of the dogs, or did they??

Screams out Puppy Farmer to me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >