Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:13 PM

Which breeds have the best health?

which breeds of dogs seem to have less hereditary health issues?

which breeds seem to have the most?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I think it is hard to say really which breeds have the 'worst', because it will be magnified by population breed numbers. Breeds that high are in population numbers are going to have a statistically higher number of hereditary issues than those with a low number, but the breeds with low numbers are not necessarily any healthier...there are just fewer individuals so therefore health issues seem less numerous. Does that make sense or am I just waffling?

That said, I don't think it can be argued that some breeds are prone to certain health issues more than others.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I know that when my friend took her CKCS puppy to the vet told her they were "riddled" with health problems and she should make sure she had a really good insurance.

Growing up I knew of 4 (which seems loads to me) GSD's whos back legs had just "went" and had to get PTS
I thought this happened to all dogs when they got old when i was a child- there were lots of GSD's where I grew up. What is it that actually causes this?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2010, 02:13 AM
I think you can find healthy and unhealthy lines in nearly all breeds. Certainly, as a breed becomes a fad, the quality of the breed goes downhill, Shepherds, Poodles, Dalmatians Goldens, etc. Breeds with a substantial working population may fare better.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I've heard and read things that bulldogs have bad health and some insurers won't insure or insurance is high but hubby's aunts bulldog was 15 when she died, that's a cracking age so it's strange isn't it.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Less popular breeds seem to be less affected, as there is more thought that goes into the breeding. Estrelas, Maremmas, TMs, etc. all seem to relatively problem free. That goes for temperament too.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Possibly dogs that aren`t popular as pets? I think German Shorthaired Pointers and Munsterlanders - big, worky dogs that like getting muddy and don`t like to be left - are pretty healthy.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Less popular breeds seem to be less affected, as there is more thought that goes into the breeding. Estrelas, Maremmas, TMs, etc. all seem to relatively problem free. That goes for temperament too.
Dont think Estrelas score very well in the HD department do they? I think the average is about 30, but Maremmas and Tibetans are around 14.

I ADORE Tibetan Mastiffs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I know that when my friend took her CKCS puppy to the vet told her they were "riddled" with health problems and she should make sure she had a really good insurance.

Growing up I knew of 4 (which seems loads to me) GSD's whos back legs had just "went" and had to get PTS
I thought this happened to all dogs when they got old when i was a child- there were lots of GSD's where I grew up. What is it that actually causes this?
CDRM – Chronic Degenerative Radiculomyelopathy or as it now known DM Degenerative Myelopathy - the nerves died from the hindquarters forwards
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Whippets are a fairly healthy breed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >