Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:00 AM

'Rest' days...

I have been chatting to a few people lately and I have mentioned the fact that I build 'rest' days into my dogs exercise schedule (for want of a better term.)
Once a fortnight they do not go out for a walk. Now I could be slated for this, but let me continue.

On the no walk day they are not left on their own at all. They have their meals in a kong/dog pyramid/buster cube or the like or thrown over the garden. They are given chews etc and I do more training with them. I get them using their brains more.

Why?
I do it because years ago someone suggested it would be a good idea and having done it I agree.
On the 'day of rest' they are no more active than they are the rest of the time...infact they are probably more settled.
I do it because I don't want them to HAVE to have a walk everyday, for them to expect it...sometimes life can throw curve balls at you and you can be ill with no way of getting them out. The other side of that is sometimes they can be ill or injured but feel fine in themselves...but they can't go out (a mild dose of kennel cough or a season perhaps)...in those circumstances you don't want a dog that is bouncing off the walls because it hasn't been out for the day.

As I say, on their 'rest' days they are active mentally...and are never left in on their own. Their activity levels are no different...infact they may even be calmer on those days (they are generally very good in the house anyway though).

I know some will think it is awful of me...but I think it is an important part of their training/lifestyle...that they don't always expect a walk.... I don't stick to set walking routines anyway so this is part and parcel of that.

I may regret asking...but what do others think?

ETA an example of a recent rest day that was forced upon us was when my OH was working (so I wasn't mobile...) and on the school run with my son I saw the council was spraying the weeds in the pavements...they were on quad bikes spraying all over the place. We stayed in. I wasn't prepared to risk the dogs being poisoned.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I totally agree!

I want my dogs to be able to relax, so that if something prevents us from our normal schedule, they're not bouncing off the walls (any more than usual)

I find that the boys are very seasonal. In the winter, they'd rather be in than out (they don't like wet weather), and will laze round the house most of the time.
However, as the days/nights get lighter, they become more active.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I could do with a rest day today as am feeling pooped for some reason.

I think it's a good idea personally and have on occasion missed out one walk with no ill effects.
We do stuff in the house with Maggie, hide and seek, find the biccie and like your 2, she gets her kibble in a treat ball or pyramid. She also has the garden to roam in (not a huge garden mind) and it's full in sniffs and squiggles (blo*dy b*ggers).

I see no harm in missing a days walks every so often and I think is a good method to help them settle for those days when unpredictable things happen.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I totally agree!

I want my dogs to be able to relax, so that if something prevents us from our normal schedule, they're not bouncing off the walls (any more than usual)

I find that the boys are very seasonal. In the winter, they'd rather be in than out (they don't like wet weather), and will laze round the house most of the time.
However, as the days/nights get lighter, they become more active.
Phew....yes mine are the same in terms of the seasonal thing.
I have to admit, it is sometimes nice to just slob around the house with them too...they seem to enjoy it. They love being aruond the house and spend lots of time sleeping when I am not trying to mentally challenge them!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I could do with a rest day today as am feeling pooped for some reason.

I think it's a good idea personally and have on occasion missed out one walk with no ill effects.
We do stuff in the house with Maggie, hide and seek, find the biccie and like your 2, she gets her kibble in a treat ball or pyramid. She also has the garden to roam in (not a huge garden mind) and it's full in sniffs and squiggles (blo*dy b*ggers).

I see no harm in missing a days walks every so often and I think is a good method to help them settle for those days when unpredictable things happen.
That's it. I just think that if they expect it everyday I could be making a rod for my own back..

I say I do it once a fortnight, it isn't always that often.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Mine do as much or as little as I want to do with them. Since I started work full time they are out a bit less, but we do training at work and Rio loves her treat ball and playing hide and seek with me in the shop. Like you say, it's best not to have a strict regime in case illness stops you. I usually walk mine at 7ish every morning, but if the OH is working away they sometimes don't get out until later, because I have to get the kids washed fed and dressed first. Now the evenings are dark we are doing a road walk in the evening instead of a run on the beach, but the dogs don't seem to mind one bit.

ETA. It's the same as 'fast days' with mine. I'm sure people would find this awful but my dogs are fasted for half a day every couple of weeks. When they are fully grown it will be a full day, to give their digestive systems a break!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:21 AM
i always give my lot a day off, every week, for the simple fact you don't know when you won't be able to take them out, and i don't want hyper nutters if am ill or something comes up
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Mine do as much or as little as I want to do with them. Since I started work full time they are out a bit less, but we do training at work and Rio loves her treat ball and playing hide and seek with me in the shop. Like you say, it's best not to have a strict regime in case illness stops you. I usually walk mine at 7ish every morning, but if the OH is working away they sometimes don't get out until later, because I have to get the kids washed fed and dressed first. Now the evenings are dark we are doing a road walk in the evening instead of a run on the beach, but the dogs don't seem to mind one bit.
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
i always give my lot a day off, every week, for the simple fact you don't know when you won't be able to take them out, and i don't want hyper nutters if am ill or something comes up
I am so gald it isn't just me. It is something that I sort of assumed everyone did as I had been doing it for so long, but a couple of people have been surprised when I have mentioned it, although surprised ina 'that's a good idea' sort of a way

I have to say..if I enjoy the rest and the change..I am sure they must get something from it too.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:25 AM
My dogs do not have a routine. They eat at different time and walk at different times, and yes - sometimes they do not get a walk....

With the best will in the world you cannot stick to a routine 365 day a year for 10+ years.

It is much less stressful to the dog (IMO), if it is used to changes, when those changes happen.
(DOes that make sense?)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
My dogs do not have a routine. They eat at different time and walk at different times, and yes - sometimes they do not get a walk....

With the best will in the world you cannot stick to a routine 365 day a year for 10+ years.

It is much less stressful to the dog (IMO), if it is used to changes, when those changes happen.
(DOes that make sense?)
Yep totally as it's the same approach I take with my lot.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »