Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

dremelling nails

Jobie has horrible nails.. They are mainly black, and he makes such a fuss about having them cut i have decided to dremel instead. he's fine with it, he pulls his foot away every once in a while but he doesn't really care.
what i really want to do is get them nice and short and keep them that way, but at the moment they are quite long. how much should i take off and how often? i only do each nail for a few seconds so it doesn't get too hot for him. i'm guessing that the quick will recede if you do it slowly but i don't want to do it and have it all grow back, or do it too quick and hurt him or i'll never hear the end of it! thanks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I would aim to have them about the length you want withing 3/4 weeks, doing a few seconds each day just to take a very very fine layer off.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Where is a good place to get a Dremel - and do you recommend any specific model? I think I would like to give one a try - but I don't want to end up with something that a professional DIY'er would use that is not good for nails!! And does the specific attachment come with it?
Thanks
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Cheers Shona, i'll try that
mine has been sitting in the shed for years, it's not actually a dremel i don't think but it's got a 'p' symbol on it... it came with loads of attatchments but you use the barrel shaped sandpapery ones for nails. it's 8000-27000 rpm if that helps
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I use a Dremmel for nails. I find it much easier and the dogs don't seem to be particularly stressed about it. I would just go as far back as you can and then weekly until you reach the disired length. I hate long nails so all my lot sport very short ones!
Becky
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Dremmel user here too, had too many incidents with black nails and bleeding, so my xmas present one year was a dremmel, never looked back, the dogs quite enjoy a few mins on the sofa getting a manicure lol.

Mo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Got mine from B&Q.
pjkobulnicky
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I started using my Dremmel when I had a BIG Bassett with nails the thickness of small logs. Never looked back. Buy a cordless one and use the sanding drum with fine sandpaper. Shorten the nail until the softer white tissue just begins to show. Always use it so that the rotation of the drum is from the back of the nail to the tip along the nail. My dogs really tolerate it and, no nail splintering!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2009, 10:13 PM
No idea where to buy one, but many people like this site http://homepages.udayton.edu/%7Emere...el/dremel.html
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Going Dremel shopping tomorrow!!
For the OH - not the puppy!!!