Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Do dogs know others of their own breed?

Hi,

Does anyone think their dog knows other dogs of their own breed, or do they just recognise a dog.

I ask this as I have a lurcher-type mutt (we suspect he is a greyhound cross) and he always wants to 'talk' to other greyhounds. We were at event where there were a lot of other owners and dogs. He ignored every dog that wasn't a greyhound and pulled like an idiot to get over and 'talk' to the greyhounds. It makes me wonder if he senses they are similar to him rather than just another dog.

Any views?

Ali
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:30 PM
my lot know rotties when they see them,

they are always happy to meet and play with other dogs, but when we are at large champ dog shows where there are lots of other breeds about, they cry and get more excited when they spot other rotties coming towards them.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:31 PM
yes indeed they do. My guys get very excited when they see other Estrelas. My Elkhound Loki didn't like other male Elkhounds at all! Some breed won't tolerate others of the same breed but are fine with all other breeds.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Mine prefers other sighthound type dogs, espcially when she is on lead, she seems to feel more comfortable around them, and more able to understand them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:32 PM
The only breed my Lab a.) really wants to greet and b.) hump () are other Labs. I think he definately knows.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:48 PM
GSDs seem to know other GSDs...or is that because the pointy eared ones have similar body language? The shorthairs ignore other dogs because they`re not pheasants and the Hound is happy to greet anything that doesn`t growl at him.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes indeed from here.

They always make a bee-line to other BC's
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Boomer always liked other BC's and would say hello to them, but was never happy with other dogs in his space.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:58 PM
yeah my dog knows her own breed. she certainly tries to play with them and loves going back to meet her extended family. shes good with other dogs too but yeah she likes seein her own kind.
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2009, 09:00 PM
My yorkie loved to play with yorkies but then again she loved to play with Labs and Rottis as well so I really don't know.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >