Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HENNYSMOM
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:56 PM

Baths???????????

I have a pitbull/bulldog and he is very actuve outside. He is 10 weeks old and he is a little stinky. he does have danduff for a couple of days but is that really bad for him if i give him a bath every 2 weeks or so?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Well we bath our dogs regularly, because we show them, and it does not seem to effect their coats, although I would say if using a shampoo I would be inclined to use a very mild one that does not strip out all the oils in the coat, I would say though, what is he getting into that is making him smell? the usual grass/mud etc dosnt normally smell bad? and he is only a puppy I am surprised he smells that bad.
mo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Just use a mild puppy one on him. He shouldn't smell that bad as a pup so I don't think you'd need to bath him that regularly.
Becky
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:41 PM
What sort of smell is it? Just asking, as bulldogs can suffer from problematic skin which can give off an odour
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by HENNYSMOM View Post
I have a pitbull/bulldog and he is very actuve outside. He is 10 weeks old and he is a little stinky. he does have danduff for a couple of days but is that really bad for him if i give him a bath every 2 weeks or so?
No its not bad for him, I bathe mine about the same time scale.

Our dogs live inside the home and I am paranoid about smell

As long as you use a gently shampoo and rinse of well , you should be fine
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I would like to bath Honey, 8month old whippett rescue dog, had her almost 3 weeks now, do you think its too soon as she might be scared, she hates being dried with a towel when she been on the park she tries to escape and grumbles at you, maybe something in her past happened for her to be like that.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I would say its ok to bathe her, I am guessing she just isnt used to being bathed/rubbed down and needs to get used to this, I dont think any of mine liked it when I first sarted bathing them, even now they do a runner when I get the bath out for them lol, but once in it they stay put now lol.

Mo
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Personally i only bath mine when really really need to,been so short coated i tend to use johnson baby wipes to keep them clean and smelling nice.They can lose the natural oils if over bathed i always thought.Saying that Kia has started rolling in anything smelly latley when were out on walks and loves going in the marshes,which is boggy so will probarly hose her down more when its warm,
HENNYSMOM
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
thanks for all the feed back. I think I might use the baby wipes, sounds like it will work and still be healthy for Henny
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
I would like to bath Honey, 8month old whippett rescue dog, had her almost 3 weeks now, do you think its too soon as she might be scared, she hates being dried with a towel when she been on the park she tries to escape and grumbles at you, maybe something in her past happened for her to be like that.
Kobebear i had the same issue with Barney my rescue Lakeland, the grumbles which later led to little warning snaps we pinned this down to dominance.
Just a note to nip that in the butt as soon as - we had to make sure he knew we would not accept that behaviour, with a sharp telling off and not giving in and not drying him. Now he loves to be towel dryed (not the paws tho) and after his baths he comes back to get even more even tho he is already dry!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >