Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Ayla will only eat and drink outside,

Recently Ayla wil only eat and drink outside. When I put her food down for her (usually in the kitchen) she will just sniff at it then sit by the kitchen door and start wimpering, she will then walk to the garden and move her head as if to say 'follow me!' So I put her food in the garden and she eats without a problem.

But she also does this with her water and I'm worried about her not drinking when we go out. She isnt left very often but on occasions she can be left for about 3 hours and during this time she will not drink, but as soon as we get back I put her water in the garden and she drinks it.

Do you think she is doing this as she feels the garden as her safe place?

Should I encourage her to eat/drink inside

Becky
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2009, 09:35 PM
If you don't want her to eat outside, don't put her food outside......

Can't think why she is behaving like this.

How old is she?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Daisy likes to eat outside. It`s not a problem for me. She doesn`t like to be disturbed while she`s eating. As regards water, I have bowls inside and out as the dogs always have access to the garden .
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Ayla is 8 months now, I dont mind her eating outside I was just wondering why she would behave like this. I have water bowls inside and out but she will only drink outside.

I have been thinking that she prefers the garden as its always quiet and she can eat in peace.
Tehya
New Member!
Female 

31-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Basically, right now your teaching your dog thats its perfectly ok to whine at the door to get what he/she wants.
Just put the food and water in the kitchen and dont move it outside again. your dog will not starve itself, trust me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
But why? What difference does it make where the dog eats? If the dog likes to eat in peace, what`s the problem? Daisy will back off and not eat if disturbed. I`d rather she finished her food and was happy and in good condition.
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
When we have given Ayla food in the house she wont eat it so I move it outside as otherwise she will go hungry. She also does this when we give her treats that she needs to spend time chewing such as sausages and will always take her bones outside.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
All my other dogs are happy to eat indoors - one isn`t. I think it`s because she`s a bit stressy and is easily put off her dinner. I don`t see it as a problem. It`s not like we`re trying to teach a child to sit at the table after all . I see on the Turid Rigaas thread that she recommends doing this anway (feeding outside).