Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:59 AM

suggestions please?

good morning
i know this isnt strictly dog related,but i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for me,
i work at a small veterinary practise,my boss has decided to have an open day next month (aaargghh!!) what, from a dog owners point of view would you like to see/do at your vets open day.any suggestions would be very appreciated.thankyou.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Little fun dogs shows are always great, but it would probably be good to do a couple of demos on how to check your dog over, or how to teach your dog to stand still for inspections.

Nail clipping? We used to have a groomer who had a little tent and did nail clipping for a couple of pounds.

I guess it depends on how much you want to organise
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi

How about having a demonstration on how to clean your dog's teeth?

Karen
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Weigh in for dog and owner? Maybe get local sports centre to do human bit?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I think this is a brilliant idea, a fabulous opportunity for educating the general public and teaching animal care to all.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 06:44 PM
thanks guys
i'd love to do the dog show idea but,i think that would be better done as an event by itself(thanks tassle) and run for a charity as we do have a massive garden!
im really beggining to panic though
so please,any more for anymore?????
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:07 PM
When my vets had open day, guided tours of the practice were made. Visitors were shown the ward, prep. room and theatres and laboratory and consultation rooms. Don't know how big your practice is but we had vets and nurses on hand to explain what goes on in each area and to answer any questions. Also staff brought some of their pets down like rabbits,guinea pigs and other furries and also any exotics and visitors could see them in ward-this was a hit with any children that were there. We also had a 'puppy clinic' were advise was given about caring for puppy feeding, grooming, exercise etc. You could also have a 'weight clinic' were visitors could weigh their dogs and be given advise especially if their pet is over-weight. If you have someone who can deal wih behavioural probs. in pets, you could have a cons. room set aside giving advice to anyone who thinks they have probs. with there pet.
Just can't think of anything else at moment but if I do I will let you know-good luck
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I second what Merz said!
I would love to see 'behind the scenes' at my vet practice, the op room, recovery rooms etc!
Shown some equipment, how things work!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 06:45 AM
We went to an open day at Mummy2Max's vet practice. It was great - it did have a fun day in the field as well, with show and stalls.

I do remember going through the practice though and there was someone there ( not sure if salesman or vet tech) selling Rogz beds at half price, there were vet nurses in each room, Missy picked up lots of fusses and free treats.

She got to stand on the weighing scales and made a huge fuss of - they were excellent with a nervous dog!

She also got teeth cleaning chews and an explanation from the company rep on how they worked. It was a great opportunity to go to a practice and only nice things happen..

The room for the demo of physio was packed with people and dogs!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Was your open day yesteday?

If so, how did it go?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >