Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Dog Walks near Inverness

Hi,

We are going on holiday in a couple of weeks to spend 5 days in Inverness in our caravan.

Can anyone suggest some good dog walks, preferably where they can be let off the lead.

We like to explore a bit and get out into the wilderness but nothing to extreme as Mrs. ZHR is recovering from a foot injury. We don't mid driving a bit to get to the walks either. We have 5 days to fill do intend on journeying out a bit.

suggestions for any other dog friendly activities in the area would be good too.
looby-loo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Which Caravan Park are you staying in? I live in Culloden. There are soo many walk I could recommend.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 08:19 AM
When we were on holiday there we took the dogs across the Kessock Bridge and then went north to the first roundabout and turned, so we were heading back into Inverness. Then we went into the car park/picnic area off to the left. There was plenty of space there for them to be off lead. It's a wooded area, up a hill with good paths.
On the south side of Inverness we went into the village of Daviot and into the woods there. Its just off the A9 so easy to find.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks,

We are staying at Bunchrew Caravan Park to the west of Inverness, but like i say, am more than happy to drive to good walks.
looby-loo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Yup Know where it is. .

Right if you carry on out that road you will come to the TALL TREES walk. Its past the candle making shop then past a pub(which you can stop at on the way back). Its sign posted. Its quite short but a lovely walk.

If you come out of bunchrew n turn left back into inverness then take a right at the lights. Then turn right at the next lights towards New Craigs. Drive up the hill (Leachkin Brae) to Craig Phadrig forest. (There is a vitrified fort at the top) Another lovely walk but again quite short.

If you keep going up the hill you could get to The Great Glen Way. Aternatively drive back down the hill n turn right. Drive till you get to the Scottish Natural heritage Building. Park in there car park n pick up the signs for Great Glen Way. Its a bit of a steep climb but the views are worth it.

Last one for now. Similar to Dales mum. Drive north over the Kessock Bridge. Pass the dolphin place then take the slip road into North Kessok. Turn right at the roundabout as if you going back into Inverness. Take the Left before you reach the slip road then take the next right. Single track road with passing places. This will take you to Ord Hill another vitrified fort. Which is up the hill from the car park Dales mum stopped in.

They are all "easy walks" on forestry paths except the GGW which is a bit of a climb. Hope this helps I have loads more Ideas if you want them. I'll maybe put some on later aswell. LOL Enjoy your holiday
looby-loo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...undTheAird.pdf

Check out this page.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks very much. Keep the suggestions coming. we have 5 days to fill!
looby-loo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Ok A couple more. Then I'm afraid i'm off on hols my self tomoro.

Nairn Beach is always a fab day for us. Head back into inverness back onto the A9. Follow signs for Airport Aberdeen. A96. Drive straight through Nairn, Ignore the signs for the first beach. Keep following signs for aberdeen. Over the bridge take the first left towards the Caravan Park. Take a right n drive through the caravan park till you see a car park. Walk over the dunes n hopefully the tide will be out LOL

Culloden/Balloch woods
Go the same way as for Nairn but at the roundabout after Retail Park turn right. turn right at the lights car park is a wee bit up the hill on the left.

Dores/ Loch ness

Lovely pub here. Bit complicated to get to. I'll try my best.

From Bunchrew drive back into Inverness At the Telford street Roundabout Take the 3rd Exit onto Kenneth street. At the end of the road take a left at the Lights. Stay in the right lane. Go Straight through two sets of lights. pass mcdonalds take a Right at the next set of lights at the Castle tavern. Go down the hill then stay on that road till you get to Dores. You'll see the Loch.

When are you visiting Inverness. I'm away for the next two weeks but if its after that we(me and the BF) could meet you for a walk.

Have a great holiday. Laura
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks again,

it'll be your second week we are in the area

enjoy your holiday.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-08-2009, 07:43 AM
we did not actually do many walks near Inverness other than a loop around the River Ness and back down the canal. Really enjoyed it is once we were on the Islands we could let the dogs off.

We ended up travelling each day and doing walks around Loch Ness (not actually walking around loch ness... we'd still be there!), did Nairn beach, tide was out... really enjoyed that - also a couple of woodland walks near by. We went up the coast to Dornoch with several stops along the way.

Had a great time. I think we will be back to explore some more. Perhaps spend more time in individual places rather than trying to fit a lot of places into a short time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >