Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ali79
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2009, 01:16 PM

mating

We Are Trying To Mate Our Newfie, She 2 And A Half Had All The Required Health Checks- She Is On Day 11 Of Her Season And Every Time She Is With The Stud She Will Flag Her Tail And Let Him Mount Her And Then After Afew Seconds She Sits Down, Last Night She Was On Hes Back, She Is Still Bleeding But Its Turning To A Brown/pink Colour, She Has Never Been Mated Before But The Stud Has Had 1 Previous Litter.
Any Advice Would Be Greatfully Recieved. Thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-07-2009, 02:05 PM
have you had her blood tested to see if she is ovulating? She could well have ovulated already, but if she is still bleeding she could be a late ovulater. I have had a female mate on day 18, before that she wouldn't have anything to do with the stud, they don't always go by the book. Is there any chance of having the stud stay with you for the next few days?
ali79
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks the stud has been with us since day 7 and nothing has happened, when do we give up and take the stud home?
he live 80 miles away and had to come here as the owner had just had a litter and does not have the room for our dog.
thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Has she run clear at all? I would leave them together and he will do it when she is ready, she must be nearly there to let him mount her. Keep blotting her twice a day and when she starts running clear it is a good indication that she is ready. She won't let him till she is ready anyway. I would take her to the vet and get a blood test, that will give you an accurate picture of where she is on her cycle, you will get the results back the same day.
With my girl, I was lucky enough to be able to keep the stud with me and he got her on day 18, so don't give up!!! I have heard of them mating as late as day 24 as well!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by ali79 View Post
We Are Trying To Mate Our Newfie, She 2 And A Half Had All The Required Health Checks- She Is On Day 11 Of Her Season And Every Time She Is With The Stud She Will Flag Her Tail And Let Him Mount Her And Then After Afew Seconds She Sits Down, Last Night She Was On Hes Back, She Is Still Bleeding But Its Turning To A Brown/pink Colour, She Has Never Been Mated Before But The Stud Has Had 1 Previous Litter.
Any Advice Would Be Greatfully Recieved. Thanks
Have you ever handled a stud dog before ? have you bred from a bitch before ?

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Has she run clear at all? I would leave them together and he will do it when she is ready, she must be nearly there to let him mount her. Keep blotting her twice a day and when she starts running clear it is a good indication that she is ready. She won't let him till she is ready anyway. I would take her to the vet and get a blood test, that will give you an accurate picture of where she is on her cycle, you will get the results back the same day.
With my girl, I was lucky enough to be able to keep the stud with me and he got her on day 18, so don't give up!!! I have heard of them mating as late as day 24 as well!!!

Please do not"leave them together"without 100% human presence, it's a very big no no especially with an inexperienced dog & maiden bitch.

You really should have help from the stud dog owner or someone experienced in handling stud dogs. Newfies are not the easiest of dogs to handle for mating, I helped a friend quite a lot in the past & there were always at least four of us present, one to hold the bitch front end, one to handle the dog, one to ensure that the dog hits the spot & the fourth to bring cups of tea after they tie