Our sister sites
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2009, 06:12 PM

how to get ruby used to her collar and lead

hi,
ruby goes for her 2nd jab on monday, so i can start to take her out soon,
she has a collar and while she is not that keen on me putting in on her (she does a very good version of doggy backstroke to get me off her ) once its on her she is quite happy with it, just scratching it occassionally, but when i try to put a lead on she lies on her back, chews the lead, and wont move,
i know it must be very strange for her as she's never had a lead on before, so how can i get her used to having a lead on and walking on it
she's my first puppy, as a family we've always had older rescue dogs, so all help is gratfully recieved
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 08:13 PM
i had the same problem with jake, he's only 13 weeks and got his 2nd jag at 9 weeks. i just put the lead on and tempted him forward with treats, he is very food orientated so worked like a charm , and sometimes threw a toy for him (not far though so he didnt get hurt by the collar pulling). it took a while but he got used to it gradually, i started walking him around the garden about a week after i got him so by the time he got the second jag he was really good on the lead. good luck with your pup
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I always teach my puppies to walk to heel off lead holding a treat just above his/her nose. I do a few steps & then reward & never put a lead on until I have them doing a full left & right handed circle. I never train on lead so my dogs never learn to pull & I also teach them to touch the palm of my hands so that I can guide them into my side.

I do this with both small(Cavalier) & big(Border Collies/GSDs) puppies.

I do this long before they are ready to go for an outside walk
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2009, 09:56 PM
When people get a puppy they think they can just put a foreign object around their neck and the pup should know that they should walk with it.
First, put the collar and leash on him for a short amount of time and play some games.

Objective: To respond, to answering to their name.

As you go about your business in the house every now and then call out his name. Please Note: Only call his name once; you will ruin the entire training if you keep calling their name over and over again. Call his name once! If he does not turn to look at you, you must get up and go to your dog, place the treat onto his nose, “do not move the treat away from his nose” and get the dog to follow your hand getting the dogs head to turn around to face you, this is vitally important, as it will set you up for all your future training.
Do not move on to the next stage until your dog instantly looks at you 100%

(Your dog should now be coming to you on the odd occasion for the treat and praise.) Start the exercise again, if he does not come to you, go to him and gently lift the leash and walk backwards and entice the dog with you using the treat. When he catches up with you instantly give him the treat and be sure to praise him using his name. Good boy Rover!

Drop the leash and start again when he doesn’t expect it. Over the next few days continue this game until he is coming to you 100%

Next step is to hold the leash for a few moments, put the treat beside your left thigh, your dogs nose must know where it is so that he can follow it, then walk around the house together in play. Take only a few steps and give him the treat then build up the steps over time. (This will teach them to walk beside you).
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Sorry I didn't mean for the 1st sentence to sound I was insulting anyone.