View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Canine body language (split from CM thread)

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Agreed, ears back on their own means nothing unless you take into account the other signals a dog gives off. You can't take one aspect of body language on it's own and I don't, I look at the dog as a whole.
Becky
Me too.

I remember with Hal he used to do what we called his "nice guy" act. If he was greeting little dogs, or puppies, or young children, something vulnerable, his eyes would go all soft-looking, and his ears would flatten and go straight out to the side. He looked so sweet. I have never seen any other breed do this, only the northern breeds.

Do any others do this does anyone know ?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Me too.

I remember with Hal he used to do what we called his "nice guy" act. If he was greeting little dogs, or puppies, or young children, something vulnerable, his eyes would go all soft-looking, and his ears would flatten and go straight out to the side. He looked so sweet. I have never seen any other breed do this, only the northern breeds.

Hi,

My big GSD, Zane does this. I can actually see his eyes soften in certain circumstances, particularly where children are concerned. When he greets people (me included if I've been out) he flattens his ears and launches himself so he can give sloppy wet kisses.

When out for a wak though, his chest is puffed out and his ears are always vertical (unless he meets people).

Laura xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher
Me too.

Really

My boy does this every time he seems a puppy,young or small dog, he goes all gooey , his eyes roll he his ears soften and he gets right down to their level.

Funny though, he is a Boxer
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Really

My boy does this every time he seems a puppy,young or small dog, he goes all gooey , his eyes roll he his ears soften and he gets right down to their level.

My male Borders do this too, male dogs are often "embarrassed" by puppies and act all silly!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
My male Borders do this too, male dogs are often "embarrassed" by puppies and act all silly!!
Yep, a dog thing, not a breed thing
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Gnasher, please become more familiar with animal behavior. I suggest you buy yourself either Calming Signals by Rugaas or Canine Body Language by Aloff. All the things you think only Hal does are well described in these books. Soft eyes are either signs of stress or aggression cut off signals. Same with ears, they signal there is no intent to aggress.
Meg
Supervisor

03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Really

Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Gnasher, please become more familiar with animal behavior. I suggest you buy yourself either Calming Signals by Rugaas or Canine Body Language by Aloff. All the things you think only Hal does are well described in these books. Soft eyes are either signs of stress or aggression cut off signals. Same with ears, they signal there is no intent to aggress.
I would say almost all dogs adopt these gestures, it is not unusual and certainly not exclusive to northern breeds.

I agree with Promethean and I think this is an example of what is known as allelomimetic behaviour , responding to and mimicking the behaviour of those around you.

I think the facial expressions described to some extent mimic the appearance of a puppy, the flattened ears making the face appear rounder and the 'softened eyes' are the opposite of the threatening 'intense stare' giving the message that the dog is not a threat.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't get why many owners of 'northern breeds' think their dogs are unique in their behaviour

Bryan also acts different around younger dogs. It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with the 7 month old puppy we have arriving this afternoon. I'll let you know what he does.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I don't get why many owners of 'northern breeds' think their dogs are unique in their behaviour

Bryan also acts different around younger dogs. It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with the 7 month old puppy we have arriving this afternoon. I'll let you know what he does.
Yep I know, Lets stick to our "normal" dogs eh!!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Yep I know, Lets stick to our "normal" dogs eh!!
Anyone who has had more than one type or breed would recognise this as canine communication. My Cambodian and "northern" breed do this, and so does any other pooch I've known....so clearly geographic influences are not relevant!

Turid Rugaas's books are brill.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »