Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Crate at Bedtime

Hi Everyone

I have a crate which i use for my whippett x ? for use when we are out of the house as she was chewing everything, also we put her in it at night when its time for bed, she has no objections and quite happily goes to sleep.

Do you think that we should takeaway the crate and night time and let her sleep on a bed next to ours or continue with the crate till she a bit older?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 01:02 PM
To be honest if she is happy and comfortable in the routine i would leave it. Are you wanting to get rid of the crate althogether? If so then i can understand you wanting to change it but if you are still going to use it i would leave her in the routine she is happy with.

However im doing the opposite - trying to crate train my yr old dog to sleep in his crate during the night lol. Good luck whatever you decide x
Janey K
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I have a 10 mth lab pup and started crating him at night time when he was 4mths. He stayed in it through the day when we were out too. We positioned his crate in the hall with the door open but still penned in so that he gradually had more room to explore untill we were certain that he could be trusted not to destroy anything. He now has the run of most the house but he still likes to sleep in his crate in our room with the door open.
The crate is huge and is in our room all the time. I considered taking it away but it's actually become a handy shelf!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
To be honest if she is happy and comfortable in the routine i would leave it. Are you wanting to get rid of the crate althogether? If so then i can understand you wanting to change it but if you are still going to use it i would leave her in the routine she is happy with.

However im doing the opposite - trying to crate train my yr old dog to sleep in his crate during the night lol. Good luck whatever you decide x
I want to get rid eventually but at the moment the little monkey will chew anything including the doors when we out so for the time being it stays.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Janey K View Post
I have a 10 mth lab pup and started crating him at night time when he was 4mths. He stayed in it through the day when we were out too. We positioned his crate in the hall with the door open but still penned in so that he gradually had more room to explore untill we were certain that he could be trusted not to destroy anything. He now has the run of most the house but he still likes to sleep in his crate in our room with the door open.
The crate is huge and is in our room all the time. I considered taking it away but it's actually become a handy shelf!
Our crate is in the living room during the day when we out and at night we take it up to our bedroom but takes up an awfull lot of room, we have only had it for about a month so i was thinking it may be a bit early to start introducing her out of it if she happy.
Janey K
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Our crate is in the living room during the day when we out and at night we take it up to our bedroom but takes up an awfull lot of room, we have only had it for about a month so i was thinking it may be a bit early to start introducing her out of it if she happy.
Chester was at least 7mths before we tried leaving the door open and only for short peroids of time. It took untill very recently before I could leave him to roam free but he was never much of a destructive pup anyway apart from attacking the odd unarmed slipper. I always leave plenty of chew toys and hide chews around to keep him occupied.
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2009, 06:21 PM
We crated Ruby at night and when we went to work from her being a young puppy. After great discussion as to whether we should let her sleep on the sofa at night, we agreed we'd give it a go, but keep her in the crate at work times. She's never been really destructive, (although I have spotted a mysterious lack of wallpaper just outside our youngest sons bedroom door). Don't want to mention any names, but it begins with R and ends in uby.

Anyway, last night we left her crate door open and she slept on the sofa all night with no problems at all. (Proud mum). We'll keep the crate for work purposes for a little longer, and hope I can have my lounge back without it.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Missy came to us crate trained at 7 years old. She still sleeps in her crate at night. Her crate stays in the bedroom though, we don't cart it from A to B. The door is never shut so she can choose where to sleep, she chooses crate

So I guess I'm saying if your dog is happy and you can accommodate it space-wise, you could leave it there.