Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell61
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2009, 07:50 PM

diahorrea

i'm feeding alfie bakers puppy food (the dry stuff) this is what the breeder gave me when i bought him,his stools are quite loose ,could this be the cause? there is also some red blood throught it,ive already had him at the vet whos said he is a healthy pup and they gave me stuff to slow it down a wee bit.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Personally I would never feed Bakers. Could you try him with a better quality food?. Usually you need to change foods gradually, but if your pup is already passing blood, I`d look into feeding him something very gentle for now. Maybe people with more experience of puppies can help?
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Feeding bakers to a pup would be like raising a child on mccdonalds,it really is a dreadful food.

I understand you following the breeders advice but if you could change her to a better quality food i would think her tummy will settle
bluebell61
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks for the replys------any suggestions what is the best to feed him on? its been 12yrs plus since ive had a pup
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Try Wainrights food, from Pets at home It's a fantastic food, and it's not too expensive. I've tried my boy on a few foods, including James wellbeloved, but they were all too rich for him.

Good Luck x
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by bluebell61 View Post
thanks for the replys------any suggestions what is the best to feed him on? its been 12yrs plus since ive had a pup
We feed Arden Grange ,they do a puppy formula and they have a very helpful phone line for advice.
Burns is also another good food and as it sounds like he has a bit of colitis i would only feed small amounts at a time.
Aloe vera juice is very good at soothing the gut and bowel and can be given internally and a spoon of natural live yoghurt is useful to balance the gut bacteria.
Hope he's feeling better soon.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I use beta and wouldnt use bakers becuase of all the additives. If changing food do it very slowly doing it too quickly will only upset his stomach further.

Is he regually wormed??

ATD x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I use beta and wouldnt use bakers becuase of all the additives. If changing food do it very slowly doing it too quickly will only upset his stomach further.

Is he regually wormed??

ATD x
very good point about worming for now,i would stick to what the breeder fed him(dont give him any milk)as any change in diet ,as said above should be done gradualy and defo not when they have d+.is the blood fresh in colour? if so ,the easiest way to describe it is..its like 'piles' as opossed to 'dark' blood which is more serious.
what has been your pups worming protocol to date?worms and stress of moving house(and possible 'overfeeding') is the likliest trigger if he is otherwise well.(no vomiting,lively etc)
what suits one dog food wise does not suit another,it can be trial and error,what i would say,when you decide what you want to feed your pup 'long term' switch gradualy and give it at least 6 weeks,as puppys are laying down their good gut bacteria at this stage,so regular worming and as little messing with diet as can be possible is advised.
good luck
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 07:31 AM
I would definitely wean your pup gradually off of Bakers.

Good luck!
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Yogurt could have the opposite effect if your pup it intolrent of dairy products.
Try Pro Kolin paste to get the gut bacteria sorted , it can be bought over the internet or you can get it through your vet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >