Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Rant at neighbours and need some advise

Right bit of a rant here, a while ago we had a windy night which blew the fence down between our next door neighbours and the house next to them (so this is the house two doors down). They have this little black terrier that is keep outside in a small fenced off part of the garden (very low fence i might add). The broken pannel has fallen into his pen and has jammed the gate open and also seems to have knocked over the fence on the other side. So this dog now has excess to the whole of their garden and there neighbours on both sides all because they can't be bothered to move a panel and repair his pen.

well the other day he tore a whole into our garden and has ruined our fence in the process so now he can get into our garden as well. We didn't know this until we let the dogs out cand sat down to enjoy our lunch only to have a black dog growling and barking at us half way through his brand new hole!!!! It has really peed me off as Ela is in season and Cassie does not take kindly to strange dog in her garden, this dog is not very big and i really worry that Cassie would kill him if they got into a fight. We have tried speaking to them about him but they are never in and really don't seem to give a kippers. So we will mend the fence but changes are he WILL do this again. The worst part is that the garden next door is not fenced off from the road and he could wander off where ever he likes or get run over.

Other then writing then a letter and putting it through the door what can i do???
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
A visit from the dog warden might sort them out. It is worth ringing them and seeing what they advise.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
isn't the neighbour next door accountable though, as it's their fence to repair, not the one next door that owns the dog?

does your own fence need strengthening if a dog can make a hole?
just a thought, as that might be a quicker and hassle free solution?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Why not write a letter? Definitely the best thing. Be very polite, explain that their dog has not only damaged your property but that you fear for it's safety from your dogs and road accidents. I would also mention that although you are prepared to bear the cost of repairs this time if it happens again you will expect them to pay.

Keep a copy and then have a quiet word with the dog warden explaining the situation. Then if any thing unfortunate does occur it will be on record that you did your best.

Really doesn't sound like they care about the poor mutt very much.

J
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
isn't the neighbour next door accountable though, as it's their fence to repair, not the one next door that owns the dog?

does your own fence need strengthening if a dog can make a hole?

It was a good wooden 5ft fence pannel dropped into gravel boards and he has just torn a hole in it! We will replace it but as he has done it once i don't see what will stop him from getting at the other fence pannels as well

just a thought, as that might be a quicker and hassle free solution?
It isnt there side of the fence thats damaged but if it was my dog that was at risk then i would just get it sorted. There is also a pannel missing on the other side which is there fence though.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2009, 02:42 PM
im confused

if you fixed your fence, because its yours, then doesn't that stand to reason the next fence along (the one blown down), is your direct next door neighbour's fence?

(the dog owning neighbour 2 doors along would have the third fence?)

unless im getting wrong end of stick?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
LOL, let me try again. Everygarden has two fences and each homeowner is responsible for the fence on the right hand side. So the dog chewed though our fence and the neighbours fence has blown down into the garden of the dog owner causing their fence to also blow down. So now the dog can get into our garden, our neighbours garden, his own and the one next door to them also. Confusing i know!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I go on the principle that I am responsible for my own animals. In fact, no-one has to fence their garden - it`s up to you to keep your animals from straying.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I can see what Krusewalker means here, if you own yours on the r/h side, then your neighbour owns the next one on their r/h side adjacent to where the dog is originally getting out from no?

Fix yours, get the neighbour to fix theirs, job done! The dog owner with the escape artist only own the fence on HIS r/h side which hasn't got a mention yet, apart from the fact that it goes into another property who doesn't have a r/h side fence, but then, that doesn't affect you, only the lose dog getting out?

The CAB might be able to help perhaps or at least advise you what you can and can't do here? Put a note through their door by all means though stating YOUR fence has been half eaten and you're worried their dog might get eaten too when it gets into your garden?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I go on the principle that I am responsible for my own animals. In fact, no-one has to fence their garden - it`s up to you to keep your animals from straying.
This is my point of view, yes the fence is not theirs but the dog IS and this should be more important then the cost of a fence panel. Plus my neighbours are renting the house and are in no rush to fix the fence themselves . . .

TBH all they would have to do is repair the pen the dog is kept in and they wouldn't even have to worry about the fence.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >