Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 12:27 PM

What IS the reason for passing on dogs that aren't nutered or speyed

I know lots of breeders actively re home studs and brood bitches, when they've either became surplus to demands or simply moved on for other reasons, but it seems sad that a lot of these dogs get moved on only to be bred from further, is this a case of the breeder not being able to find a suitable pet home ?, so the dogs are moved on so some one else can fill they're pockets from them and use the excuse that because it was a rescue the dog has then paid its keep by having a litter or being sired out...
I definately would not think it would be in the dogs best interest to be moved on then used for breeding again
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Because they probably feel from experience it is better for the dog to remain intact, you may not agree but the decision is theirs so if you want to know you will need to ask each particular individual.

Others may feel it is up to the new owner, and yet more will not even think about it, breeders in general are not into neutering and it would not be the first thing on their mind, they would be more concerned that the dog was going to a good home. Neutering is a thing that pet owners think and talk about, breeders, as I said, do not.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Because they probably feel from experience it is better for the dog to remain intact, you may not agree but the decision is theirs so if you want to know you will need to ask each particular individual.

Others may feel it is up to the new owner, and yet more will not even think about it, breeders in general are not into neutering and it would not be the first thing on their mind, they would be more concerned that the dog was going to a good home. Neutering is a thing that pet owners think and talk about, breeders, as I said, do not.

Thanks Pita, should the concern then not be to make sure the dog doesn't have to reproduce any more, if the breeders pass it on then surely there is a reason for not wanting to carry on that line within the breeders programe...I know what your saying about breeders not being into neutering, speying ect but I don't believe it is breeders in general, or hope it is not, or am I being niave ?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I got an 8 year old ex brood bich , she was given to an 80 year old woman with dementia when she was 7 , unspayed !
Of course thet home didn't last long and I was asked to take her . I got her on the day she was booked to be PTS . The super duper breeder of fabulous prize winning dogs didn't want her back .
I believe the only reason she was given away unspayed was that it would have cost money to spay her .
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 04:28 PM
As a Breeder, albeit just starting out, I would never pass a dog on unspayed. To me, you must ensure that the dog will not end up in a puppy farm and to be sure of that, you would have to be responsible and do the right thing.

Of course, if you were re-homing to family or someone you trust, then you wouldn't have the problem but I'm talking about if you were to hand the dog to rescue or something like that (which I would never do in a million years - a dog's for life and if you can't keep it for whatever reason, you take the time and effort to place it in a suitable home - sorry if anyone thinks I'm being unfair - but it's how I feel)
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Because its excess money that would be spent for no reason after all why spay/neuter a dog urself when a new owner will do it?x
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Glad you were there for her Fernsmum...
CC I'm also glad to hear that you would do your best for your dogs too. xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post

Thanks Pita, should the concern then not be to make sure the dog doesn't have to reproduce any more, if the breeders pass it on then surely there is a reason for not wanting to carry on that line within the breeders programe...I know what your saying about breeders not being into neutering, spaying ect but I don't believe it is breeders in general, or hope it is not, or am I being niave ?
Perhaps I am not the correct person to answer this as I am 100% against neutering because people are irresponsible and I come from a breed where any dogs being retired are retired to the fireside of people the breeder can trust.

Sadly, of course, this will not apply to all breeds but neutering is not the answer, responsible ownership is.
Lunakitty321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2009, 07:53 PM
When we picked out Ami, a pup from the previous litter was just return (lets just ignore the fact that this girl was only 8 months older than Ami), by the time we were able to bring Ami home, this girl was pregnant (she was about 9 months...). All of her pups found home, eventually. When her dam was mated again (this time she had a break since the daughter had a litter) Someone came to look at the new pups, but ended up buying the returned pup, because he wanted to breed, and since this dog was already proven and old enough, why wait for a puppy to grow up?

I was a new puppy buyer...so at the time, I didn't know any better...however, this transaction is what really put me off of the breeder. I felt so bad for this girl, who had done nothing but live outside in the barn with little human interaction and a bunch of pups by the time she was a year old. It was sad, and I feel worse that I didn't do anything about it.

I think its wrong to rehome without spaying/neutering. If you want to breed, get a pup and raise it from the beginning until (sadly) the end. If you don't want to raise a stud dog, fine...then match your dog with an existing dog....but to sell off older dogs to be bred...it just seems like too much business and not enough about the dogs' welfare.

I admit to not knowing much about breeding, but I think that every dog should have one home...and to pass a dog from home to home is sad enough, let alone passing a dog to be mated/bred until they are not useful anymore. It's just sick.

That's just my opinion.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Perhaps I am not the correct person to answer this as I am 100% against neutering because people are irresponsible and I come from a breed where any dogs being retired are retired to the fireside of people the breeder can trust.

Sadly, of course, this will not apply to all breeds but neutering is not the answer, responsible ownership is.

I can see how being retired to a fire side home would be absolutely brilliant for a bitch, but what about the boys, who have been used as stud dogs, a lot more work involved there with a boy whos used to getting his jollies, some how the idealic image of breeders believing they are doing the best for the dogs putting them into retirement doesn't quite fit with the boys...
I know nuetering wouldn't change habits of a life time, possibly in the boys cases it could be better leaving them intact, although I do know of a stud dog who had to be nuetered because he was producing too much hormone which was making his bum swell and protrude, nuetering enabled him to live out the rest of his life more comfortably...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >