Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:17 AM

No Stomoscopy!

As I've got older I've started to stick up for myself when doctors suggest something. And the last time I went along with something the doc said I ended up bleeding heavily for about a week and ending up needing several units of blood pumping into me.

So... yesterday I had a hospital appointment with the team that were in charge of my last hospital stay and I brought up the issue of the stomoscopy they wanted me to have.

When I went into hospital I was bleeding from my colostomy and they were concerned that the haemangiomas which had grown into the bowel further down (and the cause of my colostomy) were now growing further up, above the stoma. They wanted to do a colonoscopy up from the stoma.

Anyway, they arranged it as an outpatient so I could get out and go to Crufts so I got a letter the other day detailing my appointment.

They want me to go the day after my 21st birthday... this would mean stopping eating mid afternoon on my 21st and drinking klean prep all night and stuck on the loo the whole time! I DON'T THINK SO!

I'd been thinking about it and decided I didn't want the scope so when I went to another appointment yesterday I spoke up for myself...

I explained that when I went in and was bleeding my INR (how thin the blood is) was 3.8. Mine is supposed to stay between 1.8 and 2.5 because anything higher and they thought I would bleed...
As soon as they gave me Vit. K to reverse it, lo and behold, the stoma bleeding stopped!

To me, this doesn't take a genius to work out that the bleeding was spontaneous bleeding (which can occur without any abnormalities) due to the INR being so high and most likely nothing to do with any haemangiomas or varices.

So I explained I'd rather not take the risk of perforation of the bowel (which could easily kill me because of the condition I have) when the risks of it actually being anything serious are so, so low.

I was actually prepared for a fight because I thought they would try and argue the point but she just said 'well, you're a sensible girl and you're probably right. I'll write to the doctor who would've been doing it and cancel.'

Very pleased but... !
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Coming from a nurses point of view I always advised questioning treatment.

Well done, it is not easy standing up to the medical profession (sometimes) and I am glad they realise you know your own condition and have made an educated choice.

Hope your INR behaves now and the bleeding stays stopped x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks

Got to get restarted on the warfarin now as I've been on sub cut clexane since I left hospital (for the scope)... this is where the fun starts!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks

Got to get restarted on the warfarin now as I've been on sub cut clexane since I left hospital (for the scope)... this is where the fun starts!
Will it be daily visits to the hospital?

My FIL is going through that just now, he is knackered with it to be honest
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Coming from an ex nurse, I agree with Lionhound
Hope they get that warfarine sorted quickly but I'm bet you're glad that the sub-cuts are finished
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I expect it will be daily trips... which is rather inconvenient, but there you go!

I will be very glad when they're over Nippy! Still have to wait for initial appointment from anti-coag clinic (as I was evicted from clinic before for missing blood tests... oops)