Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizbit
New Member!
Female 

27-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Garlic is not good for dogs

Onions, and to a significantly lesser extent garlic, contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat. Garlic is also known to cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Mine never have onions - but garlic everyday (powdered horse garlic). They have done now for about 5 years. I have only had to deflea a couple of times with chemicals - and even on those occassions it there have been no visible fleas or dirt.

Some commercial dog foods now contain garlic as a flea repellent as well - I am surprised this is allowed if it is poisonous.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I used to use my horse garlic on the dogs, then moved on to giving them caps, never done any harm here.

I found this link to the condition stated, have only scanned it quickly but found no ref to garlic..

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.co...molytic_anemia
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I put garlic in all the dog treats that I make and it has never been a problem.

As long as you don't give it in large amounts, IMO it is ok.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry - this just isn`t helpful! The `to a lesser extent` needs to be explained. How much lesser? How much would need to be ingested to harm the dog? Garlic is well known for it`s medicinal properties. Yes, large amounts are bad - but so are large amounts of anything.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm allergic to garlic.. so dogs can't have it or I get allergic to them So no problem here
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I give mine garlic over their meal twice or so a week great as a flea and tick repellent as the insects may land on the dogs but they don't burrow or bite because there is garlic in the dogs bloodstream .

Have been doing this for many years now .

It is quite safe in moderation.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I think the title 'Onions are bad for dogs' may have been better. I use garlic powder too for keeping fleas off and have no problems with it.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Garlic is perfectly fine in moderation. We sometimes give it to ours as a supplement, either raw cloves or in tablet form (with fenugreek).
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I always used Garlic with my staff and never had any problems, only in very small amounts of course. I would imagine large amounts of garlic could cause sickness and the runs, although it would in most humans too !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >