Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ceefer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Hmmm

I took my pup to the vet the other day to have his final set of jabs and a couple came in with their 16wk old beagle (I think- not so up on these breeds I'm afraid). I dont know why but i was utterly amazed as the conversation progressed. The lady was telling me how they had only had him for about 3 days and that he was so naughty. I thought well he is only 16wk and you only just got him. Anyway by the end of the conversation it became clear that they had not read anything at all about this breed before getting him and that he didnt appear to suit them at all. I have to say that I can imagine him ending in a resuce

i thought most people researched their chosen breed before getting them but obvioulsy I was wrong
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:33 PM
What a shame, I hope they stick with it. But your right alot of people don't do the research. Which is a pity
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:33 PM
It always amazes and saddens me when i hear how little thought some people put into the decision to own a dog.

A woman who was training me the other week told me that she had bought a dalmation pup for her husband as a surprise, as he had had one as a child. No planning, no joint decisions, no research or training: nothing.

Needless to say it lasted with them only for a year. She said it was badly behaved and that they couldn't put up with it any more. My response, being in the workplace, was polite but pointed.

Do people expect dogs to become well trained by chance? And she was a trainer by profession!!

Grrrr.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2009, 10:59 AM
We wanted to get a beagle but I read up on them and decided it wouldn't be suitable to our lifestyle or day to day routine.

I know all dogs are pack animals but I believe beagles are notorious for not coping well with being alone especially for lengthy periods of time.

It is a shame when people don't research a breed before they buy. However it does make you wonder whether the breeder questioned their knowledge and intentions for the dog.