Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Allergic to frontline?

Hello everyone

I have a new puppy and am a bit concerned as she seems to be allergic to antiflea treatments. I used advantix before taking her to a farm but had to bathe her as she kept scratching around her neck. I took her to the vet today and they said to try frontline as it's not as strong as advantix but now she's scratching loads again should I wash it off or will it go away?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
No it won't go away.
You can bathe her to soothe her skin,but it won't come off.
Watch that she doesn't start coming out in lumps and bumps.
I had a dog with a severe reaction to a spot on flea treatment and I swore I would never use one ever ever again.
Hope she's okay x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Agree with Ramble. Keep a close eye on her Tuti.

Delighted to hear you have a new pup - hope it helps heal x0x

Photos would be nice please
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks... no lumps or redness but it does seem to be bothering her. The thing is that I pulled four ticks off her after leaving the farm and I really don't want tick eggs all over my house! Any alternatives? Colombian ticks are pretty hardy!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I have heard a few stories of ticks being pretty resistant to Frontline so it wouldn't necessarily stop the tick eggs anyway...not sure of the alternative as if necessary I use the tablets now and Cosmo has garlic everyday. Sorry...rubbish answer for you, has your vet got other suggestions?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I was going to recommend garlic
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Well ,thats given me something to think about. My boy keeps scratching and its not mites etc because he's had skin test. I did have my suspicions that frontline might be to blame but dismissed the idea when the vet said no it wont be that, it is more likely to be a food allergy but i dont think so because he is on a hypoallergenic diet
dawgonecrazy
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Does garlic really work? tablets? hows it given? I use Advocate on my staffies and advantix on my puggy (frontline left a bald spot on my pug where it was applied) but am curious about the garlic.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Put it this way... I have NEVER flea treated Jess and she has NEVER had fleas as I add garlic to all of her treats, so she gets a daily dose of garlic.

Just be careful you don't overload their system with it though as it can damage the liver if given in bug quantities (you would need something like a bulb per day for a dog to get it to toxic level, so don't be worrying too much)

My work colleague puts a clove of garlic in their JRT's water per day and they have never had any flea problems.

Garlic is a natural immune booster as well, so it has more than one quality.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Forgot to add sorry.

Garlic cloves would be fine, I've never used garlic powder so I can't really comment on that, but as long as it is JUST garlic, no added salt or anything, I should think it would be ok.