Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2009, 09:54 PM

How to punish my dog?

Please tell me how do you punish your dog so she can actually connect punishment and what she did and learn the lesson? We tried water spray which didn't make any difference, putting her in the bathroom for a few minutes but seems like she didn't care much
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Have you tried rewarding her when she does something good? eg. dog is barking incessantly, you say 'shhh' and when the dog is quiet you reward. Not trying to sound patronising, but positive methods are often not used, probably due to too much dog borstal!
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2009, 10:04 PM
yea sorry, but things have progressed since the barbara woodhouse method of dog training...
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree, ignore bad behaviour and reward good behaviour, takes time but they do catch on eventually
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I've never punished my dogs but try to discipline them instead by using positive reinforcmenet methods. Sometimes it's really hard and quite often frustrating when it seems I'm gettign nowhere.
But even though things may take longer to learn, particularly the harder lessons, it's better that way than puinishing the dog in a way that's detrimental to their mental, emotional or physical wellbeing.

As alreay stated, try to reward your dog for the things she does that you actually WANT her to do. Or maybe try some clicker training.

I think it's a lot easier to train/teach a dog to do something specific, than it is to teach them not to do something.

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by minskiy View Post
Please tell me how do you punish your dog so she can actually connect punishment and what she did and learn the lesson? We tried water spray which didn't make any difference, putting her in the bathroom for a few minutes but seems like she didn't care much
Hi Minskiy why would you want to punish your dog? What has she done?
Most of the time when dogs are deemed to have 'done something wrong' they are just exhibiting normal dog behaviour which doesn't happen to fit in with the requirements of a human lifestyle.

If a dog is doing something you don't want it to do in generally terms ignore or distract from the behaviour and teach it what you do want it to do.

If you explain the problem we will try to help
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I would reward good/wanted behaviour and train for this behaviour with rewards such as treats, strokes, games, etc. I would also use distraction and focus. I think if the dog is shut away somewhere it probably doesn't understand why.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I don`t. Dogs don`t have our values or thought processes.
For instance: a dog that grabs your luch and then eats it doesn`t suffer guilt because in a dog`s world food belongs to whoever`s got it. If the dog then gets a slap all the dog has learned is that the owner is unpredictable and untrustworthy. (I`m not talking about you here, just illustrating a point). So to stop the dog pinching your lunch you train it not to. Or put your lunch out of reach.
What`s the problem?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Not much to add to what the others have written.

What has your puppy done that merits even the consideration of punishment ?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree - there's no point in 'punishing' a dog. You can either use positive or negative reinforcement. But you've found that negative reinforcement (the water spray) doesn't work with your dog.

Depending on the problem you could ignore the dog and don't reward the 'bad' behaviour by giving any sort of attention.

It really would be helpful to know what your puppy is doing that you don't want it to do though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >