View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Need a new laptop. Any advice or recommendations?

I need to get anew laptop and know you wonderful people will have loads of suggestions.

It is just for home use for me and the kids and will probably get used for gaming too!

Which makes are good and which should I avoid?
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2009, 11:38 AM
How long is a bit of string?

My OH had to get a new laptop.

We knew how much money we had at our disposal. We went to a shop that had good after sales support - and we have already proved the worth of that - but we were guided by the shop.

Most shops have special offers on just now - but I would check what after sales support they have.

Where we went they offered three years support which included the facility of their support staff 'taking remote control' of the machine.

That enabled their team remove a trojan from the machine that we had difficulty with

As to which make is best - different people will give different answers.

Happy hunting
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey,

I got my recent laptop from the below link. It came with insurance and ive had no problems with the laptop itself. Its one of the best i have seen and they are also a lot cheaper online than in the shops.

Hope this helps

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I got the sony vaio NR38E for xmas and cant fault it, a mate also picked up the same and she is very happy. The next model is out now so maybe worth looking at.
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2009, 03:23 PM
iv got a fujitsu compaq newish model and its great! veryy fast loadsa space and it was only 299...from pc world!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Don't get a Toshiba, I have had nothing but trouble with it and PC World are swopping it now for a Sony VA10 like I used to have, never ever had any trouble with it, the girlies pulled it off the kitchen table and thats when it went to the Great Computer Programmer in the Sky
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I thought PC World had gone into receivership?

I'm a Mac girl. Macs are much more user-friendly than Microsoft in my opinion, but then I am married to a Web Designer.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2009, 04:43 PM
OMG!!!! When?? I have been waiting for eldest son to transfer stuff onto his laptop so I can do the changeover
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Sorry, my bad. They're still trading but group, DSG have reported massive loss.

That's what you get for not listening to your husband when he tells you boring techy stuff!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Phew....just had massive row with eldest son because I thought I wouldn't get my laptop changed and it was all HIS fault because he is in the middle of a domestic dispute and has moved himself and his stuff in here - of COURSE my laptop is more important than HIS personal life
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >