Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Pup waking early

No, not mine!
Here's a scenario...a 5 month old pup is waking at 5am having slept through previously. Owner tries lots of things (from leaving him to cry to letting him out to pee, to sitting with him).
Owner advised the best course of action after only 3 weeks of this, is to go downstairs and hit the crate with a metal baking tray, if that fails to shout 'NO' and if that fails to go in, then straight out of the room and slam the door.
Any thoughts?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:33 PM
umm well I don't think the course of action advised should be carried out

I would be asking what might have changed?

Something must be different - have the reduced meals to three? Bedtime earlier or later?

Is the heating coming on later.

do they still cover the crate?

Teething?

Touches wood Bentley doesn't decide to wake me up at 5am soon - mind you I am up at 5.45 most days !
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post

Something must be different - have the reduced meals to three? Bedtime earlier or later?

Teething?

Touches wood Bentley doesn't decide to wake me up at 5am soon - mind you I am up at 5.45 most days !
Great minds Rachel. Sadly the owner did carry it out and seems happy with it because it worked in 2 days
I just wanted to know what other people thought because the advice really shocked me. You wouldn't believe where it came from.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Teething?

This is what I thought. For a pup to suddenly start doing something means that there is an issue that needs finding and resolving I certainly wouldn't be hitting his crate with anything
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
This is what I thought. For a pup to suddenly start doing something means that there is an issue that needs finding and resolving I certainly wouldn't be hitting his crate with anything
Apparently they didn't know what caused it to start,their opinion is the pup was pushing boundaries.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2011, 12:44 PM
The pup must be shaking in its little fur boots with someone hitting its crate with a tray ..
So much for a crate being a safe haven .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The pup must be shaking in its little fur boots with someone hitting its crate with a tray ..
Again...my thoughts exactly....
I also wonder, of this is done to a pup of that age, what happens if the pup needs to go out as it is ill when it is older. Will it be brave enough to bark and alert the owner?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Apparently they didn't know what caused it to start,their opinion is the pup was pushing boundaries.
It is only 20 weeks old!!

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Again...my thoughts exactly....
I also wonder, of this is done to a pup of that age, what happens if the pup needs to go out as it is ill when it is older. Will it be brave enough to bark and alert the owner?
Poor thing.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Well I'm gobsmacked poor pup !

Think the person advising such actions needs hitting with a metal tray - they can't possibly know about puppies!! I am so saddened for the puppy x and then the person carrying out should be hit twice for listening to such twaddle!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Well I'm gobsmacked poor pup !

Think the person advising such actions needs hitting with a metal tray - they can't possibly know about puppies!! I am so saddened for the puppy x and then the person carrying out should be hit twice for listening to such twaddle!
Couldn't agree more x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >