Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Removals

Does anyone know if it costs any more to have a removal company move you on a Saturday than on a weekday please?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 12:38 PM
When I was pricing up, I found that some do and some don't so the only real way to judge in your area is to ring round.

Dependent on how much you have to move, the smaller firms are usually the cheapest, but they don't offer to pack stuff up for you or leave boxes. Most supermarkets and small shops are happy to let you have their surplus cardboard boxes though, but start collecting early

If you have someone who can drive at hand and willing helpers, it's cheaper to hire a box van with a tail lift and move yourself rather than hire a removals, or man and van type firm
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I do not know Bev, sorry - but whatever you do, make sure that the removal company has full comprehensive insurance. I remember moving years back in England from a high-rise apartment to a house that even though the removal company did charge a bit more than other quotes I had had, their insurance paid for a brand new cooker for me as somehow they had badly scratched mine - which was far from new - but they accepted responsibility whereas possibly a cheaper company would not have done so.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-04-2013, 01:19 PM
We have only used a removal firm once usually it was do it yourself job it was the house move before this one we used a firm and I am sure they said Friday's are more expensive than the rest of the week so weekends might be too.
But it might all depend on the firm and how many other quotes you can get to compare and do some bargaining.
In the present climate they might be only to glad to do you a deal.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 01:24 PM
With the state of the 'quiet' house sales market at the moment, you should be in a good position to haggle a good price.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
With the state of the 'quiet' house sales market at the moment, you should be in a good position to haggle a good price.
Good point. The thing about 'weekends' used to be that it was harder to get a suitable date because most want to move at the weekends.

The only DIY move I've done was the one into this apartment end February from just up the other end of the corridor. Never again.

I've always used Pickfords or (I think) Brittania (West Country) and it's money well spent (and not as if you have to do it very often). Takes the stress right out of it.

When I moved Berks to Cornwall, they came and packed it all up the night before - just leaving us with a few essentials so we could get an early start on the roads.

When I moved Cornwall to Devon - I got up, gathered together my daughter, dog, cats and tortoise and put them all in my car and left the house intact. Stopped on the way for a nice breakfast and met them at the house when they got there and the animals mostly unstressed as they'd not had to deal with strangers and stuff being moved about.

I find it INCREDIBLY SAD to see 'your life' going into a lorry even if you've been looking forward to leaving. I've burst into tears when sorting through the attic and coming across infant school diaries and that sort of stuff.

Companies like Pickfords pack it all up and unpack it for you at the other end too and take the packaging away. I was very glad we had them for the Paignton move - my largest sofa would not go through the house into the front room! They had the know how to get someone to take a window out. I seem to recall they moved chests of drawers with the contents still in them. Wardrobe contents go into cardboard wardrobes for the move. I kept a couple of cardboard wardrobes for Jenny to play with when she was about 8. She loved them! They got painted and decorated and were play kitchens and theatres and all sorts!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 03:32 PM
When we moved last we used pickfords who were fantastic.