Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Sleep Paralysis

Does anyone know anything about it as my 16yr old daughter Charly has been suffing with it reguarly for a little while now and its not nice.
From what I have read it seems to coincide with panic attacks but Charly hasn't had these and she said she is not feeling paticuarly stressed either, it happens even when she is feeling very happy and relaxed.
I am going to try to get back from my physio appointment in time to take her to the doctors this afternoon and see what they say.
Just wondered if any of you had experienced it or knew of someone that does or did?
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2008, 09:26 AM
so sorry that Charly has being having these attacks they are really frightening.

my mum suffers and has done for a while but hers are with panic attacks - she doesnt know is it the panic causes the paralysis or the paralysis causes the panic. Usually my dad would have woken her up and sat with her until she felt better. When dad died unexpectedly her panic attacks increased tenfold - she is now on anti-d's and thankfully hasnt had a problem.

It must be very frightening for a 16 year old not to mention yourself but there has been a lot of research into sleep problems in the last few years so hopefully your doc will be able to point you in the right direction.

good luck
xxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I really feel for her as she can't even call out to me and is alone in her bedroom when it happens, so it must be very scary to be alone and no body comes to try and help you.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 02:34 PM
It is very very scarey
I used to get this when I was on night duty. I have just been looking on a web site that says you should avoid sleep deprivation. Which is probably what I was having, on night duty with a 2yr old to look after as well.
I used to know I must wake up and I would struggle and struggle, but was unable to move.
There are many web sites but this is the one I was reading;
http://www.spis.org.uk/
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 03:40 PM
from what i remember from Uni neuoscience degree there is a small part of the brain at the top of the spinal cor that acts as a switch...when we go to sleep the switch flips overr and stops us from getting out of bed and hurting ourselves in our sleep...Problems can occur

eith the switch doesnt flip on so can cause sleepwalking or the switch doesnt flip off causing sleep paralysis....

i think it has something to do with levels of seratonin in the brain which wakes you up...this is triggered by light aswell (hence seasonal affective disorder in winter...)

Has she tried a light alarm to wake her up...this may increase the levels of seratonin in her brain and aid in the correct release of this "switch"...

light alarms are a light box but plugged in with a timer....time it to switch on about 20 mins before jher alarm sounds...

Alex
xx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2008, 03:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Wiki has a bit about it, I have had just 2 "episodes" both times coming at times of great stress.

It is also though by some as an explanation to claims by people whos see friends, family just past who "visit" and say all will be ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 03:51 PM
This sounds really frightening, Bev. Hope you manage to get something sorted soon
*hugs*
x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 05:13 PM
She has found sleeping with her light full on does more or less stop it.
A light alarm won't help as she is getting it shortly after falling asleep at night.
The doctor is referring her to a sleep clinic in Cambridge.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 08:44 PM
its a horrible feeling and absolutely terrifying when it first starts, I get it occasionally in conjuction with my ptsd - hate it xxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I have it quite frequently, it's not nice but i've just gotten used to it realy, best thing I have found is to try and go back to sleep and not panic, or try and move your eyes from side to side which will sometimes bring you out of it.

I am anemic when I get my period and I usually get them more frquent then or when I am really run down. I read somtimes the body is so worn out it's not ready to 'wake up' although the mind has had enough rest and the bit of your brain which controls motor skills is still 'asleep' whilst other bits are awake. Am here if you or she wants to chat. x