Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 01:16 PM

dog school name?

well, as some of u know im wanting to start up some of my own dog training classes sometime within the next 12 months, so im researching everything now. Ive found a couple of insurance companies, altho i dont really understand it, ive found a venue etc.

But my question right now is, do i need a name for the school?

All the ones round here seem to have names, so does that mean i need to get a name and somehow register it? sorry i have no clue about businesses.
Some examples of the names around here are: The Dog School, Dexters Den, Alpha puppy class and Pawws Dog Training.

So do i need somethin original?

And...... as u were all so inventive with the name of my dog walking business, do u have any great ideas
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
How about:

Taking the lead
Posh Paws
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 06:35 PM
i like those ideas steve,, especially "taking the lead"

then theres "canine capers" "perfect pets"

just some ideas
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
How about:

Taking the lead
Posh Paws

like that steve how about
Perfect Paws
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Desirable Doggies?

Sorry I'm pants at this!

or 'Who's the boss!'!!!!

Behaving Bitches! sorry don't think you'd get away with that one!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Can't you use your dog walking business name Jenny? You will have to keep books anyway, so it will be a lot easier to have the same company name and incorporate the two into the accounts? Or don't you do the dogwalking business anymore then?

I'm useless at thinking up names although I thought of the name for my husband's garage business (The Car Surgery) which I thought was quite good. I like Steve's Taking the Lead, as after all it is a dog training business, so it's very very apt for such a business I think. Well done Steve for thinking of that one!
My only offers are:
K9 Control,
Perfect K9's,
Leading K9's,
"Leading" the Way, (with a doggy picture of some sort?)
I may think of some more useless ideas for you later, sorry I'm not that good at this.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Jenny,

Ok i must admit i choked on my wine when i read your post!

Please please dont take this the wrong way, and im not trying to be harsh, but becoming a dog training takes years and years of dog experience.
I understand you have done a dog course at college, but you are young and to be brutally honest i, and im sure others will agree to be a dog trainer takes more than a college course.

I have a suggestion, you have done the course, great start , why not volunteer at some training classes and get that much needed experience. Real dog trainers are those who spend most of their lives shadowing other trainers, working with their own dogs, before even thinking about training others.

This will probably be removed, but this is JMO. Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear jen Im just being practical!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
Jenny,

Ok i must admit i choked on my wine when i read your post!

Please please dont take this the wrong way, and im not trying to be harsh, but becoming a dog training takes years and years of dog experience.
I understand you have done a dog course at college, but you are young and to be brutally honest i, and im sure others will agree to be a dog trainer takes more than a college course.

I have a suggestion, you have done the course, great start , why not volunteer at some training classes and get that much needed experience. Real dog trainers are those who spend most of their lives shadowing other trainers, working with their own dogs, before even thinking about training others.

This will probably be removed, but this is JMO. Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear jen Im just being practical!

Gems, I hope it's not removed it's good advice.

I don't wanna burst the bubble either, but I didn't realise you were so young and not experienced. it's great you know what you want to do but like Gems says, try get some experience first. Especially if you don't know what you need to do to start a business. My dad recently did it and it's sooo complicated!

I don't know how good you are so can't comment but what if you were to get a particularly difficult or aggresive dog? Would you be able to cope etc?

Sorry if this sounds patronising but I do think experience under someone else - so that you have room to make mistakes is invaluable.

Good luck!

Lottie
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
thanks for everyones replies

hi gems, i dont plan to teach yet, it wont be for another 12 months or so i guess, depending on how it goes. Ive been assisiting at classes for just over 8 months now twice a week, and the trainer has put me in charge of a one to one on a friday. I plan to continue through the courses and also get my own dogs up to the kc gold standard before i do anything else. This is just me prepping for it
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm in full agreement regarding the experience aspect, many ppl set up business, with all the best intentions, and I would never knock someone that is trying to make a go of something, but this is not like setting up a shop where all you have to do is order stuff and get people to buy, you are taking on a task that could in fact effect someones life for the good or the bad, if you give wrong advice, I agree with others go to these other schools ask can you assist, get some hands on experience, before jumping head first into a business, that you may not really have any idea about running, it also on the business side, depends if you are a limited company or not, if you are a limited company you can more or less drop one business name for another, but if you are not limited you are personally liable for any debts if you go bump, being a limited company involves lots of paperwork, and you have to pay yourself a wage etc. it can be extremely complicated. we personally have bookkeepers and accountants to deal with all of ours. this is an other expense you will have to consider, then there is the vat side, I dont know if training clubs have to become vat registered once reached the certain level of turnover, or not some things are not liable for vat. these are all things you will have to consider before setting up. could you cope dealing with all the necessary paperwork, until you can afford to pay for bookkeepers, doing this will take up a lot of your time along with the time involved in the actual business,

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >